NC Spring Perch Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Auto-x-er

Re: NC Spring Perch Installation

Post by Auto-x-er »

Stock is M12X1.25 I went with a 45 mm bolt since thats what looked best with the options Lowes had.
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Auto-x-er wrote:Stock is M12X1.25 I went with a 45 mm bolt since thats what looked best with the options Lowes had.
Might want to spec a grade 8 bolt as well, just for safety's sake.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Auto-X-er, thanks for the info.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Auto-x-er

Post by Auto-x-er »

morrisg wrote:Might want to spec a grade 8 bolt as well, just for safety's sake.
I think the grade 8 is probably a bit overkill for the design (M12, 65 ft-lb), but since it is a safety thing I do agree. The problem is where do you find quality grade 8 metric bolts?

As far as my setup I am still having the springs move around a bit. They are on top of helper springs and when the suspension unloads they are shifting around and still rubbing the top of the threads a little bit. Would the swift thrust sheet solve this? If so could that work ok in between the helper spring and the main spring?
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

I think you want what Swift calls a spring stacker, not the thrust sheet. The thrust sheet won't help keep the springs from moving relative to each other. What ID springs are you running?

You've seen Brian Clemons' car, right? He's running 65-mm springs with a stacker. I'm running 70-mm main springs with 65-mm helpers, and I use Fat Cats 70/65 stacker.
Auto-x-er

Post by Auto-x-er »

I am using 2.5" springs with the Fatcat. I have not seen Brian's car, I am far away.

So is this what you are talking about then? http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0199.html

Getting expensive in parts to make this work.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Sorry; I got you confused with someone in Portland.

I think Goodwin's spring reducer is 2.5-2.25 inches; even though he doesn't say so in the description, he mentioned it in one of the forum threads. If your main and helper springs are both 65 mm, then you need something like this or the similar parts made by Hyperco or Eibach:

http://www.frsport.com/Swift-Stacked-Sp ... 4AodVWAA9Q

I don't think Goodwin sells a part like that.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

As I mentioned, I've been using your upper spring perch adapters to run 70-mm straight springs in the rear of my NC. The 70-mm springs give me extra clearance to prevent rubbing the damper. In order to fit the 70-mm springs, I epoxied some carefully chosen hubcentric rings to the OD of the spring seat. Unfortunately, I still get a little rubbing between your adaptor and the damper.

So, would you be willing to offer a set of your adapters designed specifically for 70-mm springs, in other words machined with an OD of ~69.5 mm and and ID that's ~5 mm more than your current model?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Did you space out the bottom connection per the directions in the production description? Properly installed there is no contact between spring and shock, no rub.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

I didn't space out lower damper mount, since I didn't want to compromise the suspension geometry or the support of the lower damper by the upright.