NC Brake Duct Kit Install

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

NC Brake Duct Kit Install

Post by Brian »

Copied from Miata.net post...

[QUOTE=X25;6857138](7) You don't need to remove any bolts on the fog light housing, except one bolt at the bottom (the larger one). Gently push the holding tabs inwards so they let the housing loose, and pull the fog light housing from in front of the car.
(8) Remove the signal light assembly by removing its smaller Philips bolts, and move it onto the new fog light housing.
(9) Install the new fog light housing. I recommend taping the fog light connector to protect it from the elements of the weather.

(10) Cut the hose in half. You can quickly cut it with a blade, but you'll hit the metal line (that gives it flexibility). Cut that with dikes or a similar tool.
(11) Mount the hose onto the fog light housing. I recommend using an 8mm socket and a ratchet to tighten the clamp, since access to the location might be a bit hard with a flat-head.

(12) Cut a hole on the liner. I recommend a little smaller hole than the ducting, so that the hose doesn't move too much. There's an oval line on the liner. I did follow that oval to start cutting a hole. Be careful not to cut any harness behind the liner by mistake; take your time.

(13) Make sure the part of the hose inside the fender liner is not compressed. You don't need much slack inside, and flatter hose will allow faster air output.

(14) IMPORTANT: Turn the wheel away from the car all the way. This is the position that needs the longest hose. You can then cut the hose so that it's almost fully opened at this position. Once the hose is cut and installed onto the new dust cover, turn the wheel hub all the way towards the car and check for any clearance issue.

(15) Torque the wheel hub bolts. Most torque them to 150 lb-ft.

(16) Re-install the caliper, and torque the bolts to about 60 lb-ft.

Done![/QUOTE]
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BradA380

Re: NC Brake Duct Kit Install

Post by BradA380 »

I ordered this kit to add to my nc and I have a big fitment issue. Maybe I cant figure out how to square peg, round hole....

But the duct hoses will not fit onto the caliper dust shields. The i.d. of the hoses is smaller than the o.d. of the flange it is supposed to go onto. What gives? Am I doing something wrong here?
Attachments
20201004_210550.jpg
20201004_210523.jpg
20201004_210348.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Notice your measurement of the duct is not at the small end, so it is not accurate. Tony says rotate it on, if needed can remove some of the metal wire but usually not needed.
Attachments
duct2.jpg
duct2.jpg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BradA380

Post by BradA380 »

I'll try again tonight but so far there has been no way I could force the duct onto the connector. It has a taper to it that gets worse as the duct gets on and I can barely get the first piece of wire over it, and since the duct doesn't stretch it wont slide up over the taper. Was hoping you could try one at the shop if you had one in stock to see if I had a bad fitting but maybe you drop ship them from AWR.

Attached another pic of the other side dimension of the dust cover fitting. The fitting imo needs to be less than 2.50", not more than it.

I'll try to remove the wire tonight and see if that makes the difference it needs to get it to squeeze on and report back.
Attachments
20201005_154147.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Same product for many years, no spec has changed, many customers have crossed this bridge before you. Thus, it can be done, it has been done, and with some effort you too will get it accomplished. I still remember the first time that I installed this setup, many years ago on our 2007. I too had to fight it a bit the first time....but got it done. Like so many things it life, it seems impossible only until you get it done the first time.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BradA380

Post by BradA380 »

Found out the trick was to cut out the coiled spring wire from inside the ducting as far as I was going to insert it onto the air inlet. Now it went on like a champ. The other end on the fog light side didn't need that, it slid right on. Only kinda wish this was in the original instructions as it made things a lot easier, but I thought it would go together as included in the kit.

Thanks for the help, they worked great at the race this last weekend. Brakes and rotors stayed nice and cool, zero complaints!
BradA380

Post by BradA380 »

Some Pics
Attachments
2020-10-07 19.32.211.jpg
2020-10-07 19.32.431.jpg