ND Sway Bar Install Notes

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
avera01

Re: ND Sway Bar Install Notes

Post by avera01 »

Hi Folks, perhaps someone can shed some light in the install method.

I have read various treads in different forums and there seems to be quite a few ways to switch out the sways. These methods are not always clear and leave out some important details. Some take one method halfway then switch to another. Others says you don't have to remove much, others have you removing quite a bit, and on and on. Just when I think I have a plan, another person suggest a different approach creating doubt and concern (anxiety).

So hopefully we can either have one method or agree on a method that would normally be applicable to perhaps most folks contemplating doing it themselves based on the following conditions:

1) The sway bar is removed and replaced (not cut out although this could be an alternative)
2) Work is done at home using jack stands
3) Sways bars are one piece
4) Least amount of parts removed
5) Minimize damage to the radiator fins and wiring/sensors

So giving the above, what is the recommended or suggested method?

Plus if there is a "best or easier" method, are there detailed instructions with pictures? Taking things apart is one thing, but putting it back together can be a challenge if not documented and one needs to know the sequence.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The JBR install instructions are the best we have seen so far.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another choice of instructions at Miata.net.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another choice, by Corksport.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Well, I opted to have a professional do it; since I don't have access to a lift and the price was right (did the rear myself). Also got the LBBK with the 12.19" rotors installed as well with rear SS lines and DOT 4. Now if it would only stop raining here in South Florida so I can bed those brake and try out the sway bars!

Thanks for all the advice and comments....
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Finally got the car out on the road for a little bit of driving after sitting in the garage with a constant rain for the past 3 days. Anyway, everything feels nice as tight in terms of lateral movement when making quick 90 degree turns; much less body roll.

One thing I am hearing and not all the time, is a slight clunk noise coming from the front right corner when turning and when the car twist diagonally like when riding over an smooth speed bump on an angle whereby the wheels hit the bumper at different times causing the car to bend diagonally.

Not sure if its the endlinks (RoadsterSports) or the SB brackets. Will check later this weekend and recheck the assembly and see if the bolts at properly torqued and or enough grease on the brackets. The Endlinks probably were adjusted with the car on the lift. I have only driven the car perhaps 15 miles as I am waiting for Sunday to bed in the brakes when there is much less traffic.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

When in doubt more lube, otherwise easy for even minor dry spot in the bushings to get into cycle of grab and release (clunk).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

What is the easiest and or best way to re-lube the bushing once the sway has been installed?

I thought about using a syringe, but not sure at this point how easy it will be to load the syringe as well as forcing the lube through a narrow tube. Perhaps a Q-tip might be better or some other applicator.

Also, I am assuming that I will have to remove the brackets and open up the bushing (assuming its like the rear one that splits open) and apply the lube to both the inside and outside of the bushing then reinstall the bracket - one at a time.

I plan on performing this while the front end of the car is on a ramp (not jacks) in order for me to get underneath the car.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You can get to the bolts for the clamps/bushings from each side....just turn wheel full out to lock.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
SamM452

Post by SamM452 »

I just installed my sway bars Saturday and the front works great but the rear has a terrible squeak. What's the brand of super lube that work best? Also when attaching the end link on the last hole in the RSB ,the end link hits the headlight leveling sensor therefore I had to install the end link in the center hole!!