2006-2014 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

2006-2014 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Post by Brian »

VERY EASY...directions largely stolen from post by humfrz

Spray WD-40 on the nuts of old exhaust flange nuts (also on the threads that hold in the baffles if you plan to remove those).

Squirt some soapy water in and around the lower portion of the rubber exhaust hangers and you may want to yank the old exhaust back and forth to work that soapy water into the surface between the rubber hangers and the metal hooks that hang it from the car.

Remove the nuts on the old exhaust flange using a 14 mm deep socket or whatever fits (if you don't have a deep socket, you can use a regular socket, however the ratchet won't seat all the way down on the socket, so you have to hold it straight using two hands). Remove factory 'ring' style gasket on the midpipe.

Note: the exhaust midpipe will support itself during the change over

Coax the rubber support bushings off the old muffler using a piece of wood.

Hang the new muffler. Adjust it on the hangers until you get the flanges nice and flush (you do not want to 'jack' the muffler flanges into position with the hardware). Torque the supplied hardware to 25-30 ft/lbs.

You are done....unless you want to pull the baffles. The baffles make the muffler a little more quiet. If you want to pull them, find the bolt that holds them in...which is about 6 inches under each tip. Unscrew that bolt just HALFWAY and use it as a handle to jiggle the baffle loose. Then unscrew the retaining bolt the rest of the way and slide out the baffle. IF not removing baffles, check torque on retaining nut, 15 ft/lbs.
Last edited by Brian on Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Brian,

I haven't yet recieved delivery of my Roadstersport so excuse me if this sound like a silly question. Would you suggest using some type of high-temp anti-seize on the threads for the baffels? I would think it would prevent any chance of corrosion on the threads.

Ya see I have a big jar of high temp brake lube I'd need to put to some use.

Thanks much.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It is a good idea and will help....but still hit the threads with WD40 anytime you want to remove them (lots of deposits will form on the threads from the exhaust content).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
fluid_fish

Post by fluid_fish »

Hi Brian,

Is the gasket provided re-usable? As in would it provide the proper sealing if the muffler was taken out on and off again? I've got the roadstersport race and I tend to swap it back and forth with the stock muffler for track days. I'm not too familiar with the different types of gaskets available but what was supplied looks to me like a crush gasket... meaning they can't be used for too many applications(?). If that's the case what would I be able to use as a replacement? Can I just go to a hardward store and get a sheet of whatcha-might-call-that and cut the gasket out?

Thanks... the RS race is great by the way :)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, you can likely get a few uses out of the gasket before you need to buy a new one. But 2.5 inch is a very common size and any NAPA or similar parts store should have inexpensive replacements for you locally.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jaball77

Post by jaball77 »

What's the torque spec for the flange bolts?

My torque wrench doesn't have a "firmly" setting. :-P
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

30 ft lbs
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2006 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Post by Brian »

Essentially the same install for the 99-05 RoadsterSport 3 and RoadsterSport Singles
Attachments
roadstersport_single-exhaust.jpg
roadstersport_single-exhaust.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 34225 times
RoadsterSport3_NB.jpg
RoadsterSport3_NB.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 34229 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Picture of appearance package rear.
Attachments
Factory_Appearance-Package.jpg
Factory_Appearance-Package.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 34078 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another pic of factory appearance package from angle that helps appreciate the difference.
Attachments
MX5Appearance.jpg
MX5Appearance.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 33331 times
MX5appearancep.jpg
MX5appearancep.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 33331 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com