Packed baffle insert doesn't quite fit?

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
GaryS310

Packed baffle insert doesn't quite fit?

Post by GaryS310 »

Hello Brian and everyone,

I installed a RS Street Single on my '12 Sport just after the new year and I love it. I bought the packed baffle recently for longer trips but when I tried to install it yesterday for a test run today, I found that the hole in the SS tip and the bolt hole for the baffle don't quite line up. The baffle is fully inserted into the tailpipe. I don't want to force it in too tightly as I want to remove it whenever possible.

Any hints?

Gary
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Packed baffle insert doesn't quite fit?

Post by Brian »

HI Gary

Sorry to hear it. Let's get measurements back to the Sales Team on Monday, like full length and distance of the bolt hole from end of baffle. We can then grab one here and put it same muffler here and check. Might be slight variance in bolt hole location or just slight variation in the tube roundness of your muffler (the mandrel bending machine is distorting the roundness of it as it pulls it into shape). Anyway, as needed we could swap to version with different specs to make the fitment.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GaryS310

Post by GaryS310 »

Thanks Brian,

Here are some measurements for you:

Center of bolt hole from "tail" end of baffle: 2 1/8"
Center of bolt hole from "front" end of baffle: 5 15/16"
Compressed flange length: 5/8"
Total length of baffle: 8" or 8 1/32"

I'm not using a micrometer here so these are about as accurate as I can get.

If you need me to email these somewhere just send me an address.

Thanks again!

Gary
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I am on the road, can measure a few of these when back in the shop tomorrow. We may just have to send you another baffle with nut moved about half an inch to be sure you can get it in without trouble.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GaryS310

Post by GaryS310 »

Thanks Brian,

I'll have another look at it as well and try to find out where exactly the baffle is binding.

Gary
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Assuming you cannot get it to seat full deep, can you see the nut through the hole in the bottom such that you can tell us you need another quarter inch, ...or more, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GaryS310

Post by GaryS310 »

Hi Brian,

I tried fitting it again today. I used some black permanent marker around the edges of the reduction and the inner tip itself, and then test fit it to see if I could see where it was binding. I could see a couple of minor scuffs when I removed it so, after a quick rap with a hammer on those scuffs, I tried it again. As before, I used a screwdriver to ensure the holes were aligned and voila! - it worked.

Strangely though, I couldn't get the original bolt to start threading, but the bolt for the straight-through baffle (the one supplied with the muffler) worked fine. I've taken it for a drive and all is well.

All this to say - "crisis" averted. I'll use it for a week or so and then switch it for the straight-through baffle again. Thanks very much for your concern and help!

Best regards,,
Gary