Upgrading to the alum. P.S. reservoir

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
PapaJohn

Upgrading to the alum. P.S. reservoir

Post by PapaJohn »

Procedure? ....after disconnecting the two hoses, is it just the reverse procedure and adding fluid or does the system need bleeding. Thanks.
DanielS172

Re: Upgrading to the alum. P.S. reservoir

Post by DanielS172 »

I used a turkey baster to remove the minimum amount of coolant needed to do the install with making a mess. Disconnect the top and bottom hoses, remove and install the new reservoir, connect the hoses back, and refill the tank with coolant. Just to be safe, I ran the engine for a few minutes with the cap off and the coolant capacity full until the heater came on. Put the cap back on and take it for a test drive to ensure no leaks, etc. The coolant tank is high enough up in the engine bay to where a full bleed of the system isn't necessarily required, although it wouldn't hurt. I didn't need to, however.
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
DavidR663

Post by DavidR663 »

Power Steering Tank or Coolant ?
ScottS479

Post by ScottS479 »

Just an FYI. According to the Mazda 2011 MX5 manual, before starting the engine, jack up the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times. Check the reservoir and if the fluid is below full indication point add fluid and repeat. I did not do this step the first time and my pump was making noise upon turning. Once I did this procedure, it was 100% back to normal.