NC Coilover Install....OHLINS, JIC, etc...

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Coilover Install....OHLINS, JIC, etc...

Post by Brian »

We have given Ohlins our feedback, but they are making the call on rates. So, no numbers yet. We hear SPRING before we get first kits. I expect entire first batch will be standard kit, with race kits coming later.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

OHLINS for ND, after install pic by customer Pete Stoppani
Attachments
OhlinsP.png
OhlinsP.png (443.87 KiB) Viewed 14943 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Bump to make easy to find.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sam.bunger

Post by sam.bunger »

I just ordered a set for my NC. I know I've read tuning the settings is an art and takes practice but are there suggested setting starting points for road and track? I would like to have a good ride to the track and then adjust for when I am on the track.

Thanks
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Brian,
My apologies but I just skimmed through here and don’t know for sure but I’m guessing the front spring size is an 65mm x 8” spring for the Ohlin’s?
I found a used set I was thinking about purchasing. Now pushing 60 I think I would like to lower the front spring rate by 1 or 1.5kg... Then replacing the RX-8 Red & Yellow swaybar’s with an NC Blue & Green or with Red & Blue or Green swaybar’s.

Thanks in advance,
AZ
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

AZ Sun Lover wrote:Brian,
My apologies but I just skimmed through here and don’t know for sure but I’m guessing the front spring size is an 65mm x 8” spring for the Ohlin’s?
I found a used set I was thinking about purchasing. Now pushing 60 I think I would like to lower the front spring rate by 1 or 1.5kg... Then replacing the RX-8 Red & Yellow swaybar’s with an NC Blue & Green or with Red & Blue or Green swaybar’s.

Thanks in advance,
AZ
Yes, 8 inch front spring. That DFV valving is amazing, really no need to lower front spring rate for great ride quality in our experience.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

sam.bunger wrote:I just ordered a set for my NC. I know I've read tuning the settings is an art and takes practice but are there suggested setting starting points for road and track? I would like to have a good ride to the track and then adjust for when I am on the track.

Thanks
It's a tune to taste situation, and everyone's ideal taste on settings will be a little different and quality of your local roads will have a big influence. Start 10 clicks off stiff front and 15 off stiff rear for comfortable street sport touring, and adjust from there.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ScottS734

Post by ScottS734 »

I have installed a set of the Ohlin's and have issues with the front tires rubbing around T6 and T18 at CotA, they are right-hand turns and T18 has bumps. Also, I have lots of rubbing on a Harris Hill Road in San Marcus TX, which is a very bumpy track. I don't believe the shocks hit the bump stops before hitting the wheel wells. I have rubbed through the plastic liners and onto the metal in several areas.

The ride height is 13 3/4" in the rear and 13 1/2" in front which is 1/2" higher than recommended.

I will check the shock length which is supposed to be 335mm. Any other suggestions?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ScottS734 wrote:I have installed a set of the Ohlin's and have issues with the front tires rubbing around T6 and T18 at CotA, they are right-hand turns and T18 has bumps. Also, I have lots of rubbing on a Harris Hill Road in San Marcus TX, which is a very bumpy track. I don't believe the shocks hit the bump stops before hitting the wheel wells. I have rubbed through the plastic liners and onto the metal in several areas.

The ride height is 13 3/4" in the rear and 13 1/2" in front which is 1/2" higher than recommended.

I will check the shock length which is supposed to be 335mm. Any other suggestions?
If that is an NC, that's not too far above heights we usually set the cars to here. For some tracks like Laguna with the famous corksrew drop we carry some snap in travel stoppers (most often called 'shock packers') to limit travel for that big time dive into the corkscrew. We carry a bunch in our track box, essentially a hard plastic ring with bite out of it so we can snap it onto the shock shaft as needed depending on the track. It's not about the Ohlins in particular, we use the packers on every shock and coilover at tracks that present us the same issue. Search 'shock packers' on Youtube to better SEE and understand what we are talking about and how to install them, example at THIS LINK.

Another video by a long time suspension guru in the Miata world.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Bump
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com