NC Coilover Install....OHLINS, JIC, etc...

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Although the included directions are in Japanese...I found the pictograms were all I needed.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
TunerFreak

Post by TunerFreak »

is #5 the part that you are talking about that has to be reused?

i have a set of Tein coilovers so i am just making sure because if thats it then they already have them

Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

TunerFreak wrote:is #5 the part that you are talking about that has to be reused?

i have a set of Tein coilovers so i am just making sure because if thats it then they already have them

yes, that aluminum hat is used again. It eliminates the lack of travel issue that was common in the previous generation Miata.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sachs Racing Coilovers. In the interest of constant experimentation I installed the SACHs setup used in the Cup series. My Ohlins were WONDERFUL for a dual purpose machine but I was interested to go another step higher in rates for track days and I figured I had to pull the Ohlins to get them re-valved anyway if I was going much higher on rates. The install of the Ohlins was a dream compared with these Sachs and I would NOT recommend the Sachs to the average shade tree mechanic. First, the kits are incomplete. Mine lacked instructions. In fact, I initially got THREE shocks without a forth. When I got the forth, it did not match the other three! The original three have reference marks indicating starting position and the fourth did not. Also, you need quarter inch spacers for the rear or the springs rub the shocks. Given the price of the kit, it is shockingly incomplete and poorly assembled and the parts don't match. Several parts were not machined consistently. The crew at MazdaSpeed MotorSports Development were generally incompetent and it took several phone calls simply to get a set of directions and those directions are rather worthless as far as installation is concerned. No adjustment knob is included for the rebound. During install I weighed the setup against the Ohlins and found it is several pounds heavier per corner in the front and about the same in the rear...even if we don't count the separate reservoirs. This kit comes with a spring perch that is apparently designed to translate between a 2.25 inch helper spring and the main 2.5 inch springs....but the helper springs are not included. You can't just ditch the converter piece because the top part of each kit is designed to take 2.5 inch springs, the kit comes with 2.5 inch main springs, and the bottom is designed to take 2.25 inch springs. Thus, if you don't use a helper spring you have the 2.5 inch spring on the 2.5 inch non-threaded aluminum perch banging on the 2.25 inch threaded perch and lock ring every time the suspension unloads....

That's all the bad news. The good news is that once installed they work well. Did a practice day with them in the car and the handling was amazing. Much fine tunning to do but so far I am happy with the results despite the rough start. To fix the banging perch issue I have sourced some Swift 65mm coilover springs and swift helper 2.25 springs. Note that in the rear I had to go shorter to leave room for the helper spring. The Swift springs are lighter despite being higher rate...which makes up for the weight of the helper springs. Another autocross practice this weekend and hope to really start dialing this setup.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rensho

Post by rensho »

Brian, any updates on the Sachs or the Ohlins to report?

They both look great.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

rensho wrote:Brian, any updates on the Sachs or the Ohlins to report?

They both look great.
Practice is tomorrow....we shall see!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:
rensho wrote:Brian, any updates on the Sachs or the Ohlins to report?

They both look great.
Practice is tomorrow....we shall see!
Practice is over....my MX5 was Top Time of Day...even beat my good friend and four time national champ George Doganis by a few tenths...though George has a motor going down. Got beat by a shifter cart but even the shifter cart was not far ahead. The setup is very confidence inspiring at speed. Back end comes around in a pretty mild manner. With some experimenting on settings I settled on rear compression about 7 clicks up from the reference starting position, and kept the front at the reference position.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

Do you know the size of the nut and lock washer we should buy to replace the integrated ones that come with the Ohlins, as you described in the first post?

Michael
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
catshark

Post by catshark »

Hi Brian,

Do you know if the Bilstein PSS10 come with the aluminum hat mounts or do the stock ones need to be reused like the Ohlins?

Thanks
Bryan
catshark

Post by catshark »

I found my answer, they are not included