Header Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
SinY308

Re: Header Installation

Post by SinY308 »

Hey folks,

Just finished torquing down all of the flanges after installing the RS catted headers...
Only hiccup I'm running into is I have a 1/4 in. gap evenly around the connection at the header/factory midpipe...pretty much the donut gasket is exposed...
I've sprayed it with soapy water when the car idles with no noticeable leaks, but haven't had a chance to check at higher rpms... I'm trying to see if this is "normal." If not, I suppose I'll be dropping some of the cross braces and midpipe to make the proper adjustments...

Thanks in advance!!! :?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes...normal. It is a ball/socket union designed to move as the engine rocks back and forth. Without the gap it would not swivel, the springs keep tension and seal.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
SinY308

Post by SinY308 »

Brian wrote:Yes...normal. It is a ball/socket union designed to move as the engine rocks back and forth. Without the gap it would not swivel.
ahha thanks. sorry for the hassle but thanks for the insight! :o :oops:
mx5coup

Post by mx5coup »

Hey Brian:

Question for you, the RoadsterSport Header (ceramic coated), is it supposed to sit really close the back of the alternator? I see there was heat tape included with the header. I had my local shop install the header and they applied the heat tape to the back of the alternator but was wondering if it is supposed to sit so close?

I can take pics if needed. Overall love the added power down low.

Thanks!
Kevin
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, that's why the tape is included though later testing showed it was not needed. The part it sits close to is the air scoop for the alternator and even without the tape it doesn't get hot enough to be issue because there is so much airflow directed into that space.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mx5coup

Post by mx5coup »

Brian wrote:Yep, that's why the tape is included though later testing showed it was not needed. The part it sits close to is the air scoop for the alternator and even without the tape it doesn't get hot enough to be issue because there is so much airflow directed into that space.
Thanks Brian and for getting back to me so quickly.

Kevin
BrodieH315

Post by BrodieH315 »

So, I just finished up installed the Gen1 LT header. Instructions were spot on. My problem is the midpipe resonator. I understand it's supposed to hang pretty low. The issue is that no amount of herking or jerking will make it not contact the rear subframe and it's causing rattle. I've fitted all the piping together as tight as I can. The resonator looks like it has room to be a little more forward on the pipe. I could use some advice. Was it made with it slightly out of spec, or did I do something wrong? It seems like the entire midpipe system is maybe an inch too long. The only place I can conceivably think I messed up is the mating of the resonator piping to the cat piping.
Attachments
Height check
Height check
Resonator / Subframe
Resonator / Subframe
BrodieH315

Post by BrodieH315 »

here's a better image of what I think the issue is:

additionally, I've further attempted to find the click positions in the flex joint, but all I can get is flex. no matter how hard I bend it, it doesn't hold a position.
Attachments
midpipe mating
midpipe mating
BrodieH315

Post by BrodieH315 »

An update for anyone curious: Goodwin sent me out new midpipe pieces and those two both fit perfectly. It's pretty loud at full throttle with the SuperStreet, but is mostly okay at light throttle. Once music is turned up, it mostly fades away.
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

Is CARB approval still in the works for the catted version of the header? I'd love to get one!
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s