Header Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
pman

Re: NC Header Installation

Post by pman »

Brian wrote:The first O2 in the system is the Wideband and needs to be in the system for the car to tune itself, adjust fuel trims, etc.

The second O2 in the system is just to check function of converter and it can be removed and turned off in the calibration by the tuners like Mike at Motoeast.
Thanks Brian...that is what I thougt. The one is referring to was the downstream sensor. The upstream was fine!

David
projectrally

Post by projectrally »

Thanks for this writeup. The tip to move the alternator was invaluable at saving sanity. I lost quite a while wrestling with a corroded heat shield bolt, but other than that this was an easy, straightforward project. But not a quick one. The header frees up so much more power even before the retune on my Cosworth SC setup. Really satisfied with the product. Thanks, Brian!
JaredC025

Post by JaredC025 »

Gentlemen,

I have completed this install about a month ago using the ceramic coated header. I would prefer to remove the heat shield that remains, but I can see where keeping heat off the brake lines would be an important factor. However, my temp probe even after hard driving remains much less than my coworkers readings for his non-ceramic coated header. Would it be dangerous/ill advised to remove this remaining heat shield for aesthetic purposes? Has anyone noticed where the temp was "too high"? I don't have a good feeling for what "too high" would be for exposure to the brake lines.

Thanks for any help!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I don't expect any issues on street car using ceramic coated version, but heating the brake lines certainly won't help anything. Since I have no reason to test without that shield, don't have any data to offer.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

JaredC025 wrote:Gentlemen,

I have completed this install about a month ago using the ceramic coated header. I would prefer to remove the heat shield that remains, but I can see where keeping heat off the brake lines would be an important factor. However, my temp probe even after hard driving remains much less than my coworkers readings for his non-ceramic coated header. Would it be dangerous/ill advised to remove this remaining heat shield for aesthetic purposes? Has anyone noticed where the temp was "too high"? I don't have a good feeling for what "too high" would be for exposure to the brake lines.

Thanks for any help!
Not a good idea because the way you find that out is that you're driving hard on a hot day and suddenly there are no brakes when you step on the pedal because the fluid has boiled. And since you're driving hard it means a very hard crash from high speed.

If you really hate the look of that heat shield so much, why not polish it or chrome plate it or tint it or do something to make it special and match your under hood decor? Just keep it in place so the brake lines are protected from too much heat.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Cheap solution is barbeque paint, high temp and will last.

More fancy solution is have it powder coated your color of choice or use header paint in your color of choice.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BenjaminA018

Post by BenjaminA018 »

Thanks for a BEAUTIFUL product, Brian! This header is fantastic! I cant get over how much extra sound it adds to the exhaust, but my engine and I thank you for letting her breathe! This setup (Header -> Midpipe -> MS Muffler) has really turned up the rev factor, and I love it! Ceramic coating looks great, too.

Installation (incl the midpiep) took about 4.5 hours total, but that was working at a liesurely pace. It was about 3 hours getting the header out. It LOOKS like it should just slide right out but...

I'm sure others have mentioned it, but if not, you MUST remove the bracket that attaches to the engine block from the OEM header before trying to pull it out. Even with the alternator tipped forward the bracket prevents removal--despite your eyes and brain telling you otherwise. These two bolts were the only one that were rotted on, so they broke as I took them off, but you dont need the bracket anymore, so it doesnt really matter.

Again, fantastic build quality and craftmanship, Brian. These pieces are works of automotive art!

Thanks for all you do and keep the innovation coming!
RichardD154

Post by RichardD154 »

Brian wrote:The first O2 in the system is the Wideband and needs to be in the system for the car to tune itself, adjust fuel trims, etc.

The second O2 in the system is just to check function of converter and it can be removed and turned off in the calibration by the tuners like Mike at Motoeast.

I'm planning on installing the RS Max power later this year. The above statement and a previous statement about you reflashing your wife's ECU and gaining 0 HP from the reflash has me wondering if I am missing something.
Did your wife's car have a tune BEFORE you tried tuning again after the exh install? If so that would be more understandable than no gain over stock ECU settings.
From all I have read a reflash is a good HP gainer over stock even without exh ugrades.

Hope that wasn't to word-dy.
Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The wife's PRHT was on stock tune when header was installed. But there are about 25 different stock tunes from Mazda, many seem to auto tune to the new header perfectly every time, some don't. Thus, on some cars the added tune doesn't add much, on other cars it adds a lot more.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
dmicah

Post by dmicah »

Brian wrote:The wife's PRHT was on stock tune when header was installed. But there are about 25 different stock tunes from Mazda, many seem to auto tune to the new header perfectly every time, some don't. Thus, on some cars the added tune doesn't add much, on other cars it adds a lot more.
That's super interesting. Any insight on which years feature "autotune?"