Header Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Header Installation

Post by Brian »

Another set of very complete installation instructions by a customer at Miata.net forum:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.ph ... ost4703239
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That database of header installs (both RoadsterSport header and our Racing Beat header) is getting big enough that we start to see some common issues on those getting a code after header installs...whether they are installing our header or the Racing Beat header. Things we have seen along the way include faulty extension cords where two leads were mixed up by the company that makes the extensions for Racing Beat (and customers who make their own extension cords always seem to have problem so I can't recommend home-made extensions), O2 sensors damaged during install, O2 sensors with broken or pinched over wires that work on/off/on again, O2 sensors just a little out of spec (each is unique). I have had a few customers start their header install with NEW O2 sensors and I do NOT recommend that because it is just more variables in the mix and a disproportionate number of those customers report early issues to be sorted.

On cars where the second sensor sensitivity is the issue we have found success in using a Spark Plug "Non-Fouler" that costs about a dollar. It just backs that second sensor a little out of the stream of flow. Other customers have reported that even just a few washers to back that second sensor outward cured their occasional code issue.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tbdomenz

Post by tbdomenz »

What's the downside to omitting the heat shield that is removed in step 1 ?
(The one that mounts to the firewall and inner fender and does not actually touch the manifold)
I decided to just cut it up to get it out and forgot your recommendation to reinstall after the manifold is changed :(
Thanks
Tom
Tom in 60193
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My concern is heating of the brake lines that are protected by that shield. You could certainly use another thermal protection product such as our header heatshield blankets.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tbdomenz

Post by tbdomenz »

Brian
Where is the blanket in the catalog? Can't find it :oops:
Tom
Tom in 60193
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

In the NA/NB section.....CLICK HERE
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tbdomenz

Post by tbdomenz »

Brian
OK, thanks for the direction. one more question...
I haven't got into it far enough but what are the issues with securing the O2 sensor cables?
I assume tie wrapping to the exhaust pipe would be a bad idea :)
Or anything hot for that matter, but since the exhaust moves and the chassis doesn't move,
where's the best place? May be it'll be obvious when I get there but right now it's a question.
Thanks
Tom
Tom in 60193
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, there is a warning in the instructions on the first page of this thread about being careful to not melt the sensor plugs. I tuck much of the line up under the thermal insulation that is held to the body with plastic plugs.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tbdomenz

Post by tbdomenz »

I have decided the header exchange will be have to be done on a rack. Too much driveway slope and I don't like being under the car that's way up on stilts. Plus the age and flexibility factor :oops: So how does the procedure differ when car is on a rack? Can the stock header come out the bottom? Can the new header go in from below? Seems like that would make the whole process much simpler.
Thanks
Tom
Tom in 60193
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have always taken it out the top.....so I don't know if it will drop out the bottom.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com