Header Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
StephenW571

Re: NC Header Installation

Post by StephenW571 »

Just fitted the bright ceramic header. I too found that the first O2 sensor plug would not reach and had to remove the socket end off the engine bracket and cut back the tape on the loom about an inch in order to reposition the socket a little closer to make the connection. It's now not fixed to the bracket.
The O2 sensors need a 22mm or 7/8" wrench. The second one can be removed/refitted with an open end wrench but for the first sensor I had to modify an old 7/8" ring wrench by cutting a slot in it to get it over the wire.
You can buy proper O2 sensor wrenches at Harbor Freight tools if you want to.
I too removed the battery and it's tray for more clearance for serpentine belt tensioner. I actually removed two bolts and swung the alternator forward and removed the belt too off the alternator pulley. This way I could easily fit back the alternator and then the belt as I was on my own with no assistant.
I also found that fitting the O2 sensors and the lower header studs, for connection to the mid pipe, after putting the new header in the car was a lot easier than fitting these parts to the header before you try squeezing it into position.

This installation is still ongoing. Just have to fit back the battery, heat shield, shock tower brace and heater pipe.

Hope these tips help
Steve.
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Finished the header install this morning and changed the engine oil and filter as well.
Took it on a test drive and what a difference. The exhaust note is much loader on accel but not annoying and my butt-dyno tells me a significant increase in torque too.
Had a grin on my face the whole time.
Steve
TomH031

Post by TomH031 »

Hello everyone. I am new to the world of Mazdas and this is my first post. I have a 2012 MX5 rag top with 6 speed trans. I just finished installing the RoadsterSport MAX POWER MX5 COMPLETE EXHAUST COMBO and I am thrilled with the improvement in engine performance and sound. One issue I have is when shifting the transmission I get a secondary combustion (poof sound) apparently in the muffler. The engine is running perfect with no CEL codes and no exhaust leak that I can hear or find. Anyone else experience this or care to comment on it. Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Glad you like the new setup.

The engine made all those same sounds when totally stock....but you just didn't hear it well with the restrictive factory system. When BMW designed the new MINI, they included a highflow exhaust that let customers hear the pops as part of the retro flavor intended with the MINI.... but otherwise most modern cars you can't hear the sounds even though they are still there and simply swallowed up by much more quiet factory exhausts these days.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
TomH031

Post by TomH031 »

Thanks for the quick response Brian. Makes sense to me. Zoom zoom.
bluelagoon

Post by bluelagoon »

I am thinking to get this header, but do I need (to buy) torque wrench as well??
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, you want a torque wrench.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
StephenW571

Re: NC Exhaust and motoeast tune

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi Brian
Have already fitted the RS ceramic coated street header w/cat and the RS-Q muffler and am very pleased with it.
I'm considering my next upgrades is to fit the RS mid pipe with cat and possibly a ecutek motoeast tune.
What could I expect in way of HP gain with above and would these influence the exhaust sound much?
Thks
Steve
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You already got the big gains with the header, but you will get a bit more with the midpipe to carry the 2.5 inch diameter of flow all the way out, particularly at the upper end.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Thanks Brian.
As posted earlier I am following closely your super street project for Andi's car as my funds permit.
I'm just missing the front brace and mid pipe at the moment on mine
I read on the thread that you did do a motoeast tune after all the exhaust mods.
I'm wondering if a motoeast tune at would be money well spent or not.
I'd value your advice on the tune
Many thanks
Steve :D