Black OEM (NC), and a thanks! .. and mutterings

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
Gordy

Black OEM (NC), and a thanks! .. and mutterings

Post by Gordy »

Greetings all.

First, a big "THANKS!" to Brian/GWR. I'm a thoroughly satisfied customer.

Second: well just muttering... I've spent the last month+ finding time to install Tokico HTS w/Eibach Sport springs, full GWR exhaust (sport single), AEM intake, and various minor items.

I planned to also upgrade my wheels and tires, however I've spent my wheel money on a "winter" car ('87 Samurai, huzzah!). So, wheels have to wait a bit. Being bored though, I figured I'd blow a few dollars on some spray cans to see how I like black rims on my silver MX5. I like! So, I thought I'd share a picture. Pardon the lighting, I took this just after installing the wheels and didn't put much thought into making a nice picture.

For the curious, I spent a full day (11am-8pm) de-greasing/cleaning the rims, priming (2 coats), and painting (semi-gloss black ... 3 coats on the inside, 4 coats on the outside). Even taking so much time, I bet the paint doesn't last long nor hold up well with small rock dings. Still, for about $20 I have a cheap "mod" to admire until it flakes off. heh Downfall: it's now 1am and my index finger is still numb -- I highly recommend buying one of those spray-can trigger contraptions if you plan to paint your rims -- something I didn't do, and totally regret.

Next, and very needed "cheap" mod -- paint the rotors/calipers (black, mostly). The black rims really make my rusty brakes look horrible.
ourly

Re: Black OEM (NC), and a thanks! .. and mutterings

Post by ourly »

i love it, did you leave the tires on? i'm going to practice on my montero first.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Yes, left the tires mounted. I masked them fully on the sidewalls and up to about 1/4-1/2 inch into the tread. I kept the tires upright the entire time (other than cleaning), because you can ding the rim lip if you lay them down (depends on how much your tires bulge out, mine were pretty flush with the rim lip).

The masking tape (used the blue painter's type), easily slipped between the tire and the rim lip. I used an old screwdriver with rounded edges (so it doesn't snag/tear the tape) to further insert and press the tape against the tire (inside the rim lip area).

I masked the seat (where rim sits on the rotor), and the Mazda emblems. I only masked one rim's lug nut seats, but then figured the lugs will do the job themselves (I'll re-torque a few times).

Clean the rubber pretty well, so the tape adheres decently. I could definitely tell where the tape didn't stick well and assume I didn't scrub hard enough in a few spots. Even so, I saw no paint on the tires after finishing up.

Light coats. I went pretty heavy on the final coat to help bring out the shine a bit, but got some minor runs. Add to that I was exhausted and my finger(s) were completely numb (get one of those spray can trigger things, something I thought I had, but didn't!).
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Nice work, I never would have thought of trying to paint them with the tires on....but results look good.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Hmm, I have the same set being powder gloss black that are up for sale. I went with a set of 99 Spec RX-7 17" wheels
Looks good on Black, Red, White, Silver and some other color cars.
Send emails to: hayrandyl@cox.net