Overheating

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
magick

Overheating

Post by magick »

Hi I live in Las Vegas with my 2001 Miata. Have replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump and it stile overheats after about a mile with the a/c on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Overheating

Post by Brian »

Any chance your Miata is lacking the under tray? Do we know if the fans are working? In particular there is a second fan that should come one with the A/C....is that fan coming on?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
magick

Post by magick »

Not sure about either - how do I check?? Sorry I'm a blonde!!!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

These things are designed with a big plastic undertray. It covers the whole underside of the front. If you look under the nose of your miata (not through the nose but under it), can you see a black plastic tray covering the entire underside of the front end of the car (from roughly windshield forward on the bottom). ?

Another issue is the fans....you have two fans on back of your radiator. You want to determine if both are running. With car hot, turn on the A/C while parked with the hood up...you should quickly see both fans at back of radiator running. If not, might be dead fan motor or relay, fuse, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
magick

Post by magick »

Yes I have the tray and yes both fans are running - where now? Got my O2 sensors yesterday - thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, if you didn't already replace rad we would talk about going to bigger 37mm rad....the stock size just may not be up to handling your Vegas heat. But there are some tricks that can be done to increase efficiency. One is to seal off space around rad so that all air coming through the nose is forced through the rad...instead of some sneaking over it. You can start with something like this....notice two versions depending on year that you have.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1033.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1032.html
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
magick

Post by magick »

Ok Brian I am going crazy - apparently my radiator was changed to a better one - not a bigger one. Someone else is telling me my thermostat is the wrong one, because it overheats within a mile. Than someone says I need bigger fans. I have dumped a lot of money into saving my car because I love it - but I cant drive around with the heater on so it wont overheat. Its 115 in lovely Vegas today!!! I appreciate all of your help.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry, very true that Thermostat is a possible cause....but you would need a mechanic to check it out.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com