Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
rob_go

Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Post by rob_go »

I'm in the market for a new set of rims for my '02 miata LS and debating between feathers or helium. My question (and I can't find a picture from the right angle to confirm this): does the spoke portion of the rim stick out past the lip of the wheel? Like if you are viewing a cross section of the rim from the front.

I currently have a set of factory 5 spoke 16" wheels with practically brand new tires but one rim is bent. I thought I would get a set of 16" feathers and use my current tires. I love the look of these wheels but I can't stand to own wheels where the rim sticks out past the lip. A few of the pictures I see make it look like this might be the case. I think it's way too easy to cause serious curb rash on that kind of a rim. My other option is to try to find one replacement rim and get a set of 15" heliums or feathers later when it's time for new tires. But again, I want to make sure the rim spokes on those wheels don't protrude either.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Rob
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Post by Brian »

Spokes on the helium do not stick out. But spokes on the Feather are a little proud....we have to use foam sheets between the wheel/tire combos of the feather when we pack them (particularly if customers go with the 195/50/15 size tire).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rob_go

Re: Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Post by rob_go »

Brian,

Thanks for the speedy response. I wonder if my 215/40/16s would be wide enough to protect the 16 feathers. But it sounds like my best bet is to hunt for a replacement OE 16 and then get a set of 15 heliums later.

Thanks!