Progress springs & cutting bump stops

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
X.C. Yeats

Progress springs & cutting bump stops

Post by X.C. Yeats »

There's been a debate over on miata.net about the new batch of Progress springs and whether the bump stops should be cut. The instructions included with the springs are fairly "generic" - and on the one hand they advise cutting the stops, but on the other hand warn against cutting the stops to acquire more travel. A number of people with Progress springs have said they haven't cut theirs and have had no problems. A number of others have said that the stops should be cut to allow additional travel.

My P-springs arrived yesterday, and I have the impression that it's a "close call" on cutting the stops - is there any definitive advice on this - or am I just reading the instruction sheet as "wishy-washy" when it's not? Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Progress springs & cutting bump stops

Post by Brian »

I say cut them for max comfort....don't cut them if you prefer max performance. They act as a progressive spring....adding to your spring rates. If you cut them you will have more free travel before you hit them, and more comfort. If you leave them as stock you will effectively have more spring rate. No wrong answer....just a matter of preference.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
caf2461

Post by caf2461 »

I did not cut mine and rarely work off the bump stops.....but I also installed Koni adjustables. The combo is perfect for street. I'd advise you do the same that way you can adjust for what you want.
catshark

Post by catshark »

By cutting them wouldn't you also be removing the more progressive portion of the bump stop so when you do hit them it would be more of a jolt and therefore less street friendly?

I personally haven't cut mine and haven't had an issues
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

I will put in my .02 cents here.
I have had the Progress springs installed with the MS-R bump stops (shorter bump stops) & Koni shocks. MS-R bump stops are nothing but Koni bump stops, they're even still in the Koni packaging. For my street car the "Uncut" OEM / stock MX-5 bump stops works best! I just removed Hotchkis sway bars as they are a bit stiff for my taste. I went back to the RX-8 sport sway bars. The car understeers with RX-8 sport sways so I'm looking for more rear bar now. I *think* I may have found a rear bar that should work, I ordered it.

AZ