Brakes

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Panic.button

Brakes

Post by Panic.button »

Hey I'm coming really close to needing a new set of rotors and brakes. I was wondering if you have a new set of both, is there any special type of installation that needs to be done besides just taking the old set of rotors and brakes off, and putting the new ones on?

I'm thinking of using a combination of:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 70NCF.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0333.html

For San Diego use of autocross/weekend mountains. Do you think this combination would fit my style of driving?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Brakes

Post by Brian »

Yes, those would be a fine choice.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

Thanks for the reply Brian. Do i have to sand the rotors or anything before i put them on with he new brakes? Or is it just a simple swap and condition the braking system?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

No need to sand, the pads will do that for you in one trip around the block...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Do I dare broach the subject of bedding the pads?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sure, let's do. Ideally, any pad should be bedded with progressively harder stops...where you do NOT actually stop.

That is, find an empty straight long road and brake from 60 to 20mph. Do it ten times. Each time you do it a little harder with the goal of getting the brakes smoking hot by the last application. At no time during the process do you want to actually stop...which is why you want a road that you know is empty and without traffic or stop lights. Once you complete the process you want to cruise around for about 15 minutes or more to fully and slowly cool the brakes.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com