Steering Feels light and nervous on my nc!!!! Whats Wrong ?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
arizonasun

Steering Feels light and nervous on my nc!!!! Whats Wrong ?

Post by arizonasun »

Hi

I have been having a lot of problems with handling on my NC its a UK 2.0i Sport model (with Bilstein shocks lowered on Eibachs) standard 17" wheels and new Toyo tyres

The problem is the steering feels very light and nervous in a straight line especially over bumpy roads

any bumps in the road send the car of in a different direction which is very disturbing and gives me no confidence in the car

I have checked and tried around with different tyre pressures

And had the car aligned about 5 or times trying to get it to behave , but with no luck

The alignment is as follows

Front Camber -1.11 both sides
Rear Camber -2.03 both sides
Front toe 0.05 both sides
Rear Toe 0.09 both sides
Front Castor 7.12

Has anybody got any clues as to why my car feels terrible

Is it possible that when a Mazda delear lowered the car the could have put the suspension or springs back together wrongly ? for example bushes under the dust boot on the shock etc

Could the light steering feel be down to power steering fluid or maybe a air lock in the system ?

I have check the fluid and it is at the correct level

Help :(
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Steering Feels light and nervous on my nc!!!! Whats Wron

Post by Brian »

Question on how to read your TOE numbers. I assume both are TOE IN?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
arizonasun

Post by arizonasun »

Hi Brian

Yes both are toe in
arizonasun

Post by arizonasun »

Any Thoughts :roll:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I don't see anything obvious from what you have listed here. Thus, without driving it I don't know. I would take it to an event where somebody who races these cars can give it a drive....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

Hey arizona, I think I may have had the same problem that your describing. Say at highway speeds, does the front of the car and the steering wheel seem floaty? Take for example if you wobble the steering wheel a little it seems like the car wobbles to much? Also for the cracks in the road does it literally feel like your car shifts left and right as you go over bumps? Also what is the width of your toyo tires?
KAP

Post by KAP »

Hey Arizona,

You may want to check you wheel bearings. I had a very similar feel on my 01 SE. Had the alignment checked and redone several times and actually finally found it to be a worn rear wheel bearing.

One of the bearing and races had run dry, tuned black and was acutually beginning to make a thrum-thrum noise not unlike an out of balance tire. I did not really connecting the light & twitchy steering to a rear wheel bearing until I replaced both rear bearings. Needless to say, I was happy to have the noise gone but really surprised to find my streeting control was back to the eager but solid feel I was used to.

Don't know if you might have the same problem but it's worth a check....

KAP
2001 BRG SE
charlie brown

Post by charlie brown »

Alignment looks fine. Next time ballast the drivers seat or have the aligner adjust the camber to suit your weight.

It may just be that you have new tyres that have yet to “bed in” to the camber. Give it a few weeks and see what happens.