Fidanza Flywheel

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Cotomeus

Fidanza Flywheel

Post by Cotomeus »

Hi Brian,

Am thinking to get the Fidanza flywheel that everyone is raving about, but am concern about the flywheel chatter and the drive of it since everyone seems to say it will be harder to drive in normal traffic with a lightened flywheel.

Anyone care to share a little experience on that? I am currently using a stage 1 Exedy Clutch with a stock flywheel at the moment.
slartibartfast

Re: Fidanza Flywheel

Post by slartibartfast »

No chatter from mine though I have only a couple of weeks with it. The only difficulty is standing starts require more clutch finesse if you want to take off slowly. Stop-and-go commuting will see this the most. Or when you're trying to creep home late at night and don't want the full GWR exhaust to waken the neighbors. Otherwise, it's invisible.
Cotomeus

Post by Cotomeus »

I have got friends telling me the the fidanza chatters very badly, but I wondering could it be a result of a faulty installation,
what are the things to look out for during installation?

How do you like the fidanza so far? Slartibartfast, and also what clutch are you running on?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Other than having to feather the clutch more for low-torque starts, I like it. I had hoped for less weight (Exedy) but the Fidanza is an improvement. I'm using the stock clutch with 34k on it. I have the header, mid-pipe and RSII Dual as power adders but I have no clutch slip.
virgin1

Post by virgin1 »

This is a bit disappointing.
I too was considering the Fidanza fly and Exedy stage1 clutch as an alternative (middle of the road) to both the much lighter Exedy and the heavier Mazdaspeed flywheels, but do not want to make clutching that much harder. I knew there would be a slight price to pay but I too drive in city traffic much of the time and that is often hard enough w/a 5-sp.
Cotomeus

Post by Cotomeus »

I am hearing different views on the fidanza, which is why I am posting here to verify them.

Everyone is praising it, but I do hear some who said the chatter can get very bad, so just wondering if there are ppl are slartibartfast who have installed them to share their experience.

I think I will proceed with the purchase anyway, and will post a review shortly.
virgin1

Post by virgin1 »

I wonder if those that are complaining about chatter are using stageII/stageIII or stageIV clutches?
But still, a normal launch is a concern to me. Frankly I don't want to have to work that hard just to get the car to move w/o stalling out all the time.
This is my DD afterall, not my race car. I am only looking to improve upon it personally, not beat the pants off all-takers.