GWR header and RSQ on NC making popping sound on gear change

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
russs

GWR header and RSQ on NC making popping sound on gear change

Post by russs »

GWR header and RSQ on NC making popping sound on gear changes. (Stock midpipe, O2 sensors relocated correctly, no warning light problems.) Is this a problem, how can it be fixed?
Russ
Brian
Site Admin

Re: GWR header and RSQ on NC making popping sound on gear ch

Post by Brian »

It is not a problem. It was always there before....you just didn't hear it with the stock exhaust.

When BMW designed the MINI they engineered the exhaust on the MINI to let out the pops on shifting for the vintage sporty feel that modern restrictive exhausts have largely eliminated. You must be a lot younger than I am...or at least younger than some of the vintage machines I drive and race. End of my day and heading home on my Buell.....this thing really pops on throttle close!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I just had the header installed and I love that pop. The GWR mid-pipe and RSII Dual let it our proudly! I think race engine, not vintage sports car.
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

Can I get the popping sound without the header, since California won't let me install one? Or can I add the header and do something else to avoid failing smog checks?
russs

Post by russs »

Thanks Brian. And no, Im not younger than you. Also not younger than the cars you dive, unless they are pre 1949. I remember the popping in my old minis and Sprites with big exhaust systems, but just didn't expect so much of it on every gear change over 3000 rpm. Will get used to it. The extra bit of urge from 3500 to 6500 rpm is worth it.
Now to look and tokicos and progress springs.
Russ
mikeytx

Post by mikeytx »

matthew-m wrote:Can I get the popping sound without the header, since California won't let me install one? Or can I add the header and do something else to avoid failing smog checks?
Eat lots of beans ....................... :roll: :mrgreen:
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

I recently rode in MXGeorges turbo car and it sounds like a 22 being shot every time he shifts. Mine just has a pop, but I love that pop.
Adam D
Blue NC
http://thebluemeany.blogspot.com/
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

Would a muffler change affect this change, or does the two cats ahead of the muffler prevent the popping?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The more open the system, the more likely you hear the pops. George's turbo MX5 has additional reasons for the pops, a custom calibration setup, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

Yeah, george has nearly no muffler and a 3" exhaust. Don't think there are any cats either.
Adam D
Blue NC
http://thebluemeany.blogspot.com/