E85 and Cosworth.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Oz

E85 and Cosworth.

Post by Oz »

Hi Guys,
Just took delivery of my Cosworth and am doing a little research before the install.
What chance of running on E85 rather than going the water/alcohol injection route.
Seems at 112octane and cool running, it would be a perfect solution.

BTW Brian, as I said before , Thanks for the superb service!
Rob Young
Black 2005 NCLE GWR Exh, Cosworth, Mototune, Ohlins, PF01
Brian
Site Admin

Re: E85 and Cosworth.

Post by Brian »

We have had some discussions on this here recently. It should indeed be the perfect solution....but we have yet to do it on the NC. One reason is a lack of convenient sources. Last I checked we only had one or two stations in all of California with E85....one is here in San Diego but 20 miles away.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Oz

Post by Oz »

OK, Thanks, I'll search out the other discussion.
I'm lucky enough to have 3 on easy diverts from routes regularly travelled.
Guess I need to talk to my dyno guy to see what he thinks first.
Rob Young
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Just make sure your ECU tuner knows what you're up to. E85 has nice octane number but crappy BTU/lb compared to pump gasoline. You'll burn up your pistons in no time if you don't enrichen for the BTU loss.
Oz

Post by Oz »

SBF, talked to the tuner today, he has no problem with the E85.
Assured me that I would have to at a min upgrade the fuel pump and obviously injectors to handle the up to 30% additional fuel flow.
Rob Young
Oz

Post by Oz »

Been doing some research and have come up with this.
It's a good starting point

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=73061
Rob Young
RunningOnEmpty

Post by RunningOnEmpty »

Oz,

Interesting thoughts re. the E85 fuel .. any further news on that front with your install?

I'm also in Australia & have been thinking about adding the 'Cosworth' SC. Did you buy the 'racer version' (without tuning package)? If so, what are you doing for tuning solution, and who is your tuner?

Would be great to get your insights on the best way to put the SC on an Australian-spec car .. I note that Moto-East specifically state that their tune is only applicable to a North American spec vehicle.

I was going to contact MRT in Sydney to discuss whether they could do the tune on the stock ECU using their EcuTek software. Have you considered/explored that path?

In any case, it would be much preferred for engine safety to have the package tuned locally, for local fuel and conditions, and all on a dyno, so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
RR
Oz

Post by Oz »

Hi RR,
I pulled the pin on the E85.
Despite all the drum beating about it rolling out and being readily available early 2011, NOTHING is happening which makes fueling a daily drive/touring car just not viable.
I've ordered the AEM water/meth kit from Brian alongwith a few other bits and am going with PULP till E85 arrives.
Tune will be via an Xede which is already installed and working very well, Ricol automotive in southern Sydney will be doing the tune once the CW is installed, adjusting a base map that Stephanie at Begi tweaked for Oz fuel to get me running.
Happy to keep you informed as the install happens, catch me on the http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/index.php
Rob Young
RunningOnEmpty

Post by RunningOnEmpty »

Thanks for the feedback, Oz. Much appreciated.

Even though I think the E85 idea has a fair bit of merit, it doesn't look like the pump roll-out plan (and execution) would allow for free roaming around the country .. still a bit too limited to be worthwhile.

Did you get hit with GST when the kit landed?

I'd be interested in how you go with your install and will check your updates on your provided link.

Cheers,
RR