New TURBO NC for XP Class...Our New "NC-EXTREME" PROJECT!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

New TURBO NC for XP Class...Our New "NC-EXTREME" PROJECT!

Post by Brian »

Hi Guys

Last night a famous drifting NC left K1 Speed and landed in front of my house. The question is now...what do we do with it? We already have NCLIGHT as our dedicated track toy under development. My first thought is to sell our Cosworth supercharged NC and convert this drifter into an XP or DP class Autocrosser! My first choice is be crazy and go XP!

XP Class.
The current champ is FrankenLotus and it would be a VERY big challenge to try and match that car, might take a few seasons of dedicated effort only to finish second place. But, we have the parts here ready to do it. Got a fresh 2.3 dry sump Cosworth built motor with 9.5:1 Cr pistons...built for boost with their strongest rods to handle over 400 hp (though XP class means a 52mm restrictor and that means less peak hp). This car is ALREADY configured for the 2.3 motor...complete with Motec ECU and trunk mounted oil sump. The motor would be plug and play. Also got a Bell Turbo kit with turbo sized for the 2.3 motor. We have some minor plumbing issues but relatively direct install. The drawback of the Xp choice includes the fact that competition is very stiff, and we would need to hack this car down to the minimum 1844 pound weight of the class with this displacement. Part of me really hates the idea of hacking out the cage. This cage was installed into a bare shell that was stitch welded and powdercoated as a unit. LOTS and LOTS of work to get down to weight...unless we get really crazy and load a V8 into it which would raise our class min weight way up over what it is now. We have the parts here to do the 2.3 turbo...that's a logical choice.

DP Class
As Ron Bauer noted in miata.net thread, Current (without wheel adder) weight is a generous 2150 - New proposed rule would change that to 2070 (weight loss of 80 pounds), still easily done from our experience with NC LIGHT. Thus, not near the work on chopping up the car...the cage could stay. But, we can't use the engine and turbo kit we have...would need to build a 2.0 for the project. Could transfer from the 2.3 in the car now the barrel throttle body and head and dry sump plate.

So, the choice is the bigger challenge of XP (and its HIGHER costs long term to be competitive), versus DP which means more up front cost in building the motor but the overall car would be ready for class very quickly.
Attachments
mazdadrift#2.jpg
mazdadrift#2.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 17800 times
drifter2.jpg
drifter2.jpg (168.79 KiB) Viewed 17857 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
OM-ARC

Re: New NC Project.....Convert Drifter to XP or DP Autocross

Post by OM-ARC »

Brian - I can't speak intelligently about what it takes to prepare and run any vehicle competitively however; from personal experience I've come to think that the larger the challenge, the larger the reward - and more rewarding the chase. My un-informed opinion... take down the Lotus! What ever you decide - good luck and keep us informed.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New NC Project.....Convert Drifter to XP or DP Autocross

Post by Brian »

Thanks, fear drives me toward DP....but enthusiasm drives me toward the XP choice. Even if we busted backside all year to get beat badly, I expect we would learn the most with the XP adventure.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New TURBO NC for XP Class...NEED HELP.

Post by Brian »

Slept on it and really think we are going to be crazy and go XP.

First thing we need help with is TURBO manifold for 2.3. Cosworth makes a lovely turbo manifold for the 2.3 but it is configured for FWD (see picture below). Does anybody know of a great flowing similar item configured for RWD with TB mount facing forward?
Attachments
cosworthFWD.jpg
cosworthFWD.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 17806 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
OM-ARC

Post by OM-ARC »

Brian - I too got my hands on a brand new Cosworth intake manifold (deal from a friend with a Focus) and have been trying to figure out how to use it without cutting into it. It's cast aluminum and I've been told it's too difficult to weld properly so removing the runners and rotating the assembly is a no-go. I have though about cutting a hole in the firewall and plumbing a curved pipe with a plate on either end - one to bolt to manifold and other to throttle body. However, mine is not a race car and there "items of interest" on the cabin side of the fire wall that would not take lightly to drills and welding equipment.... maybe for a dedicated race car? Not sure what the rules say about penetrating the firewall. If you come up with something ingenious for the Cosworth intake I'd be interested in finding out what. Or - if you want one at a good price..... :wink:
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Brian wrote:Slept on it and really think we are going to be crazy and go XP.

First thing we need help with is TURBO manifold for 2.3. Cosworth makes a lovely turbo manifold for the 2.3 but it is configured for FWD (see picture below). Does anybody know of a great flowing similar item configured for RWD with TB mount facing forward?
Check with Jason and Juliann at MER. I remember looking at their turbo exhaust plumbing on "Sparky", their Time Attack MX-5, but can't remember what they did for their intake.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great idea on talking to Jason...I forgot about his turbo project. Sent him an email.

Hello from PRI Show....where I just found our intake. Naturally, a UK company. I knew racers were using the 2.3 in RWD application with turbos and figured the product must exist....and it does!
Attachments
turbointakeRWD.jpg
turbointakeRWD.jpg (87.64 KiB) Viewed 17730 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grippy

Post by grippy »

What about an intake for NA applications? Will a 2.3 intake fit on a 2.5?
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

See the NCLIGHT thread where we discovered that the Cosworth Roller Throttle Body intake for 2.3 fits the 2.5 we have in NCLIGHT. We had called Cosworth before giving it a try and got a collective shrug....they had not tried it. Fortunately, we found it was a straight bolt up. Thus, I expect most 2.3 intake manifolds should bolt to the 2.5.
Attachments
CosworthIntake2500.jpg
CosworthIntake2500.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 17713 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Cyberbug

Post by Cyberbug »

oh Brian a third NC..

I thought the wife had put a stop after the second one

That is just awesome..

May be I should start thinking about a second NC too :)