MX-5 Cup front upper shock mount install question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NelsonI

MX-5 Cup front upper shock mount install question

Post by NelsonI »

I just got some new dampers and they are made to fit the MX-5 Cup upper mounts.

There are no instructions with them, and by the looks of how they ought to go together, there are two metal bushings that aren't entirely obvious as to placement.

It looks like one should definitely go on top, inside the spherical bearing of the mount, so the nut/washer (still have to source these) have something to secure against when tightened down. The second one is the problematic one.

If it goes under the top hat, as there seems to be a recess for it, the diameter of the shaft prevents the assembly from sliding down far enough to get more than 2-3 threads on the top of the damper shaft.

Without that bushing there, though, the top had rests on a tiny (~1mm) ledge on the damper shaft itself--does not look right either.

What am I missing, or, better yet, can anyone who has used these before give me the right assembly?

Thanks in advance.

BTW: the Coilover install thread in the installation section has been invaluable so far. Got my stock shocks off with ease. Hoping the new ones will go on as easily once I get them assembled.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: MX-5 Cup front upper shock mount install question

Post by Brian »

Sounds like the Sachs units?

A picture showing the bits would help.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NelsonI

Post by NelsonI »

Brian wrote:Sounds like the Sachs units?

A picture showing the bits would help.
They look the same as the Sachs ones, but are sold by Mazdaspeed.

You're right about the pic, so here you go. The one unit is assembled on the damper, the other is the "exploded view" of the order I currently have them. Doesn't look right either way, so I'm clearly missing something.

**edited to add: yes, the mount is upside down in the pic**

Thanks.
Attachments
2011-02-01 10.56.23.jpg
2011-02-01 10.56.23.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Looks right. Add the lock washer and nut on top.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NelsonI

Post by NelsonI »

Brian wrote:Looks right. Add the lock washer and nut on top.
Thanks for the confirmation Brian--problem is, I can't fit all of those without running out of threads for the lock washer/nut on top due to the shoulder on the shaft where the bottom bushing seats.

If I leave out the bottom bushing, it all fits fine, but I'm worried about the steel shaft-to-aluminum tophat interface. I doubt it carries much load (the spring/tophat interface should, right?), but it's a small shoulder and I don't want the shaft screwing up the tophat over time.

Do you think there'd be any issue leaving out the bottom-most bushing from the assembly? The tophat itself centers perfectly on the shaft.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I had a set of these. I recall that the fit of these top bits was EXTREMELY TIGHT. My guess is that the pieces are not fully pushed together?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NelsonI

Post by NelsonI »

Brian wrote:I had a set of these. I recall that the fit of these top bits was EXTREMELY TIGHT. My guess is that the pieces are not fully pushed together?
Just got off the phone with the guy that built my shocks (Penskes). He says they are running them without the lower bushing.

Fitment is quite close, to be sure, but even when fully pressed together, they don't clear the threads on the top of the shaft with both bushings in place.

Thanks for all the help--trying to get these installed ASAP so I can get a test or two in before the season begins in earnest.

Now back to reading your install thread to get the rears on :)