Anyone Ever Damaged 17x9 Enkei RPF1s in Shipping???

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
morrisg

Anyone Ever Damaged 17x9 Enkei RPF1s in Shipping???

Post by morrisg »

I discovered today I have a problem with some 17x9 Enkei RPF1s I bought last November. When the tire shop mounted my racing tires, Toyo R1R 255/40x17, they found two of the rims were bent when they spun them on the balancing machine. The inner edge was bent in towards the axle line in one place on each rim. I had inspected the rims when they arrived and didn't notice any damage, but I didn't roll them on the floor to check they were round. They looked round and I couldn't see any damage. Now it is months later and I have a sinking feeling I'm going to take a big hit on this.

The rims may have been bent by the original owner as I bought them used, but less than 6 months old. The original owner may or may not have known about this damage.

The tire shop may have bent the rims with their tire mounting equipment, but I doubt this as the tire mounting equipment grabs the wheel from the inside and presses outward to lock it down. Thus, a bend inward toward the axle centerline is very unlikely.

The shipping company may have bent the rims during shipment as one of the boxes shows one side is accordioned inwards, as if something heavy was dropped on the side of the box.

The purpose of my post is to find out if anyone else has ever suffered damage like this in shipment when these rims are shipped in their original boxes from Enkei. I'm trying to find out if it is even possible to bend one of these rims during shipping, or are they so strong that only a road hazard, like hitting a pothole, is required to get them to bend.

Thanks for your help in trying to figure out where the damage occurred. AND YOU HAVE MY PROMISE THAT THESE RIMS WILL BE DESTROYED AND NOT RESOLD! Racing is dangerous and I won't put anyone else's life in danger over a few dollars.

Morris
2009 MX5 prepped for STR autocross
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Anyone Ever Damaged 17x9 Enkei RPF1s in Shipping???

Post by Brian »

The original Enkei boxes are excellent five dollar double walled boxes....and folks at Enkei will usually just slap a label on those and that usually gets the wheel there safely. Despite that, we usually drop two of those into yet another double walled 18x18x18 in box for extra protection because I have seen them damaged in shipping. Rare....but it happens.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com