Driving Schools for Autocross and/or Track / car prep

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
fredmuggs

Driving Schools for Autocross and/or Track / car prep

Post by fredmuggs »

Anyone had experience(s) (+/-) with any of the driving schools? I've driven fast a lot over the years and read a couple of books, but never had any formal training for track or car prep to rules. I believe I could save myself time, embarrassment, bent fenders and false starts learning from experienced drivers, rather than trying to figure it all out on my own. A Miata Club I just joined has track days, but I'd be happy to pay for a school with good references.

I'm A New Miata owner: '07 NC(AT) for street, '99 NB for off road. Will wrench both cars myself.

Thanks
rmbx5

Re: Driving Schools for Autocross and/or Track / car prep

Post by rmbx5 »

For autocross, I'd recommend the EVO schools. Phase 1 was very useful.
http://www.evoschool.com/
Local autocross clubs may offer driving schools of their own, so check with your local clubs.

For autocross car prep, it depends on the class you want to run. But like usual, tires are usually the best first mod you can do to you car. I've got no advice for track stuff though.
fredmuggs

Post by fredmuggs »

Thanks, rmbx5:

Good lead. Looks like they have a couple of courses set up in Atlanta. Not tooooo far from SC. Make a nice Miata road trip.

Good to know The Free State of NO is still inhabited. Grew up in Shreveport. Haven't been to NO since I worked the World Expo in '84. Hope the Quarter is still intact: beignet at the market, early Sunday morning.

Better days,
Fred
07miata

Post by 07miata »

I'd recommend Chin Motorsports. They host HPDE's and while not a formal school your instructor will likely be a pro racer or national champion (Guy Cosmo, Joshua Feingold, Victor Leo, etc..):
http://www.chinmotorsports.com
They have lots of miata drivers (like me!) and try to pair instructors with students who drive the same car. You can also request specific instructors. The only school I ever went to is gone (Justin Bell GT Motorsports Experience).