definitly need advice on new shocks for my 07

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ronc

definitly need advice on new shocks for my 07

Post by ronc »

need advice on new shocks.i have now rb springs;oem bilstiens and cobalt sways with kosei 17x7 on hankooks 215-45 17. car is dropped about 5/8 inch which is just the way i like it. the componets other than the bilstiens im satisfied with. but the bilstiens just dont seem to cut it. im looking at the tokiko hts; bilstien sport and konis. car is a dd not driven hard and absolutly no tracking or x cross. i would prefer a shock that i would set once and leave it alone. im not all that into adjusting this and than seeing how it rides than adjusting it again. these are the last shocks i intend to buy and i need honest advice for my style of driving. a little spirited; back road twisties and nice on-off ramp capabilities. car is a 07 sport 5sp with 43k miles. thanks ron
Brian
Site Admin

Re: definitly need advice on new shocks for my 07

Post by Brian »

I am going to suggest the Tokico for you.

The Koni would lower the car another half inch and it seems that will be more lowering than you want.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Sounds like my driving is not unlike your's. DD, spirited back-roads on occasion, and I get on it fairly hard, daily, on one on-ramp which just begs for it. I'd venture to say Brian's advice is good advice (well, no surprise there really).

I got the Tokico HTS from Brian about a year ago on my '07 daily driver. I'm more than happy with them. I run them towards the stiff side (I've got Eibach Sportline springs/sways) and the ride is very comfortable, controllable (no surprises, yet!), and responsive. Installing the shocks, springs, sways made a huge difference over the stock parts (I didn't have the Blisteins originally, but haven't heard much good about them anyway).

It very well might be that I'm just used to the ride now, but with around ~10k miles on the suspension I think I've recently noticed it's softened up a tiny bit. Again, most likely it's my being used to the setup, and not the equipment itself.

The install, if you DIY, wasn't hard, but does take some time. Definitely get the optional adjustment cables for the rear shocks and mount the cables prior to installing the shock/tower -- I've read others experiences with trying to install the cables after the shocks were mounted: not fun.
ronc

Post by ronc »

the current suspension thats in the car i did the install myself so im familiar with the process. but when you say install the rear cables before you mount the shocks do you mean after they come thru the hi hats but before you tighten them down or even before the shaft comes thru the hi hat. when i installed the rear shocks i left the hi hats in and just pushed the shaft up and thru the hi hat hole. and yes i am leaning towards towards the hts. i believe auto anything has them for 555$ with free shipping.
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

^ or better yet, just click on the "Store Homepage" link and get them here.
2003 LS FFS
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

ronc wrote:... but when you say install the rear cables before you mount the shocks do you mean after they come thru the hi hats but before you tighten them down or even before the shaft comes thru the hi hat. when i installed the rear shocks i left the hi hats in and just pushed the shaft up and thru the hi hat hole.
Same as what you've done previously -- just attach the cable to the shock prior to sliding the shock up into the tower (high hat). I do recall that the driver's side had much less room for the cable (careful not to kink the cable housing), but enough to route it through the plastic trunk liner (which I had removed during the install). Having a friend around to help guide the cable towards the trunk as you slide the shock into the tower would be helpful. I did it solo, and it took a couple tries to get the driver's side cable to end up laying towards the rear of the car (trunk).
ronc

Post by ronc »

thanks gordy; everything you said makes sense from what i remember when i did my install. yes i also put mine in solo but ill get my buddy to help me when i route the cables. i ordred them last night at autoanything 555$ +10% discount +free ship total cost 500$. i ordered the cables from brian. if i have to pick your brain during the install ill give you a shout. thanks for your help ron.