Differences between Headers

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jujupointcom

Differences between Headers

Post by jujupointcom »

Hi Brian,

Could you give some clues on differences between MX-5 Miata SCCA Race PPE Header and Roadster sport one ?

What would be differences in terms of performances, sound level ?

I have a stock header and midpipe today, but a Larini rear silencer. I am balanced between upgrading the header only with the Race PPE one, or changing both header and midpipe with Roadster ones.

My NC is my daily but goes on track sometimes. I must keep at least one catalyser for pollution norm here in France. I must keep the sound level under 95 dB to be allow to go on track, as here they are all around that limit. Today, I am 87 dB with the Larini silencer.

I have stock admission too.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Differences between Headers

Post by Brian »

The big obvious difference is the CONVERTER in the PPE header...which helps explain why it is nearly twice the price. It's primaries are a little smaller (better low/mid performance). Thus, it matches the RoadsterSport down low and through the mid range and gives up just a little on top to the bigger primary RoadsterSport (difference of 3 hp only at top end if memory serves).

That converter is also good resonator, so PPE is quieter. The PPE is excellent choice for street use....not just for STR class. The Roadstersport is better for all out track use, and anybody adding a supercharger (larger primaries really pay off once you nearly DOUBLE the gas volume).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jujupointcom

Post by jujupointcom »

Thanks Brian,

I think you will receive an new order from France :D
RunningOnEmpty

Post by RunningOnEmpty »

Great info on the comparison and best uses on the two headers!

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but have a similar question on the midpipe, which is often combined with the header, so question might make sense here. I am interested in the midpipe and header but have been put off by the lack of cat on header and O2 sensor issues on both.

Brian, can you provide similar comparison advice between the GWR and PPE midpipes?

Depending upon your thoughts, I'd be interested in getting both PPE header and midpipe via your store, if they amount to a more OEM-style replacement (in terms of less noise and fewer likely emission issues), and if you can also get the PPE midpipe.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry...have not seen or used the PPE midpipe though I know some STR guys are doing so.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com