Possible Immobilizer System problem?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
CHeavin_2006

Possible Immobilizer System problem?

Post by CHeavin_2006 »

I just installed the RS header over the weekend. After about 10 minutes of driving my engine just cuts out and I flip it into neutral and pull over on a side street. I try to start it up and nothing. The battery is fine. I have the advanced key system and I'm almost sure it's the immobilizer system. I've looked through the manual and it seems like that is the problem. I'm still able to unlock the doors with the key-less entry, but when I turn the key into the on position the little light in the dash with the car and the key inside flash quickly. I figured I check on the forum to see if anybody has had this problem or has a possible solution before I have to talk to the guys at Mazda.

Thanks,
Cory
jasonMX5

Re: Possible Immobilizer System problem?

Post by jasonMX5 »

It could be, if so it has to be towed to the dealer. But before you call make sure to go into the fuse box and check all the engine fuses, then the drivers door fuse box as well has one. If a fuse is blown the key will flicker like that I've had that happen.

Also if you installed the extension cables and a fuse is blown go take a look at the cables. I had a situation where one of my cables was caught somehow near the suspension components and chaffed until it hit bare wire. Then it touched metal and shorted, causing a fuse to blow and the engine died just like yours did. That ended up with me being pushed back to my house by the police. :) hehehe.
2007 NC, 6spd. True Red, BEGi turbocharged. Supporting mods.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

I doubt the immobilizer is the problem. The way the system works, it only checks when the key is first turned.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My guess is that you missed that part of the forum installation directions about being really careful with the plastic plugs for the O2 sensors....and they were allowed to melt and short....which WILL stop the car FAST. Find the shorted fuse, replace. Check those O2 wires and plugs and if melted, repair them.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com