Question about Konig ReTrack and 225 width tire fitment?

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
p4R4d0x

Question about Konig ReTrack and 225 width tire fitment?

Post by p4R4d0x »

Hello! I just purchased a 92 Base Miata, and am looking to get some wheels and tires to help me be more competitive at autocross, and also because the car came with steelies and they really kill the look of the car. I have the opportunity to purchase some used Hankook RS3's in 225/45/15 from someone locally and I'm wondering if they'll fit on the 'Konig ReTrack 15x7.5, 32mm' wheels, and if that will fit on my car without rolling the fenders? Right now the car is completely stock, but within the next 6 months to a year I plan on upgrading the suspension, which will likely lower the car a small amount.

Would I be better off with an 8" wheel vs the 7.5"? I had originally planned on going 15x7 with 205/50/15, for reasons of both cost and lack of power steering (I'm a small guy, haha), but getting the RS3's used helps balance the extra cost of a wider/lighter/better wheel.

Suggestions for different/better fitting wheels is welcome. I'm still not very good at figuring what will fit based on the offset, and as long as it's lightweight, affordable and either dark grey, bronze, or white, don't mind much what the wheel looks like. (there's no way it can look as bad as the steelies, right? :lol: )
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Question about Konig ReTrack and 225 width tire fitment?

Post by Brian »

Yes, fender rolling needed to fit 225/45/15 on 92 Miata with that proposed 32mm offset....or any offset. An easier fit would be with our 6UL wheels that come in 15x7.5 with 42mm offset. Note that NEW 15x7 with NEW 205/50/15....are likely to be much faster than "used" Hankooks. Thus, I would not leap at the used hankooks with the idea that the extra width is going to equal extra speed. Tires bake out fast, soft fast tires bake out REALLY fast....so those tires may be ready to recycle rather than faster than your planned 205 choice.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
p4R4d0x

Post by p4R4d0x »

Brian wrote:Yes, fender rolling needed to fit 225/45/15 on 92 Miata with that proposed 32mm offset....or any offset. An easier fit would be with our 6UL wheels that come in 15x7.5 with 42mm offset. Note that NEW 15x7 with NEW 205/50/15....are likely to be much faster than "used" Hankooks. Thus, I would not leap at the used hankooks with the idea that the extra width is going to equal extra speed. Tires bake out fast, soft fast tires bake out REALLY fast....so those tires may be ready to recycle rather than faster than your planned 205 choice.
They may be slower than my planned 205 choice, but they will be faster than the 185 width dollar store all-seasons that came on the car, won't they? Or are they really 'done' when they're worn? I have no experience with used soft tires. If the used Hankooks aren't a good bet, then is the difference between 195/50/15 and 205/50/15 really significant, on either a 7" or a 7.5" wheel?

Will the 32mm offset on 205's require rolling? If not now, after lowering a small amount?

I just realized/remembered that STS is limited to 7.5" wide, so I will stick with 7 or 7.5 regardless of tire choice. I was hoping to steer clear of the 6UL's because of price (I just quit my job to go back to grad school so I'm forced to be cheap right now).

The reason I was so ready to jump at the 225's is because I was told they'd be cheap (though I haven't been given a price yet), and if they're cheap enough, I can buy those and a set of wheels now, rather than waiting until next month sometime if I have to buy both new, which will put me on all-seasons for 2 more events..
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If the plan is STS class then indeed I would go 15x7.5. Can't say much about the used Hakooks other than we have STS customers selling those used all the time after they are effectively useless for autocross. Thus, with autocross in the plans it is hard for me to suggest spending money on a used choice...that may be all used up for your intended purpose. You might indeed be better on our current 185 tires until ready to get something new.

If you want to avoid the fender roll my suggestion is 42mm 15x7.5 6UL. But, you could go 32mm 15x7.5 and a narrower tire such as 195/50/15 and have just a little work to fit it. That's the tire size that STS guys often pick with the 1.6 motor Miata for a 15x7.5 rim.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com