NC: Transmission Swap

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DMSC

NC: Transmission Swap

Post by DMSC »

Ive got a 2006 NC with the 6AT that I'm looking to swap an MT into (5... if need be 6) when I get back from Iraq. I was wondering if anyone has experience with swapping a transmission in the NC's and could give me an idea of what I'm getting into. Maybe a parts listing so I can start ordering and seeking out pieces ahead of time? Ive never tackled a swap in any of my cars so I want to be sure I've got it all laid out and ready to go so I can make the process a bit easier on myself. (Also, if anyone happens to have some the parts I will need and is willing to let em go, dont hesitate to send me a PM and we can work something out!)

Thanks ahead of time.. !
ronbauer

Re: NC: Transmission Swap

Post by ronbauer »

While it can be done, there is a lot of work and parts involved. Ultimately it's also going to matter how "factory" you want it to be. For a complete changeover, you'll need different wiring, ECU, steering wheel, gauge cluster, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend selling you car and buying a manual. Ultimately it will be cheaper to do that.

Ron
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

I have some of the info in my blog at http://bauerspeedracing.blogspot.com/ on the conversion I did. Since mine is a dedicated race car I wasn't as worried about it being 100% complete.

Ron
DMSC

Post by DMSC »

Well Ron I had a chance to skim through your page but I'm going to take a more in depth read later on tonight and get back to you. But from what Im reading the swap on this car is a monumental pain in the ass, almost unworthy of the money and effort I need to put into it.

I have intentions of swapping everything from the steering wheel back to the Diff. But maintaining a little bit of civility in it. I am aiming for function over form - as this car will be primarily used for participating in Pro-Am+ drift events.

Alas Im going to read through your experience and come to a bit firmer of a conclusion..

But dropping the work I've already done on this car and spending $3-4k on a new platform just to start over again seems like a pretty big task itself.

Probably should have done a bit more research before I scooped this car up.. but ya' live and ya' learn..
Still love it to death! :P
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I agree with Ron, massive job....and much easier to strip your aftermarket goodies from the AUTO trans car and sell it and then buy a manual trans MX5.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DMSC

Post by DMSC »

Well... Its final then..
Thats 2 strong and reputable opinions..
And I certainly dont have the financing/time to undertake the project if its that big of an undertaking..
Slightly disappointing but woe is me.. :P

Thank you gentlemen very much for the help.
DMSC

Post by DMSC »

Advice? Who listens to that kinda stuff anyway?
A turn of events has occurred and a thoughtful gift from a significant other has resulted in me keeping my NC MX-5..
Thus, I am resurrecting my own thread on swapping the 6AT to a manual transmission.
Ron, I know you had sent me a PM with a listing of all the parts you used in doing the transmission swap, but it appears PM's are no longer available. (Atleast to me they are not! lol)...

But, if you wouldnt mind giving a listing of the parts necessary for this swap I would appreciate it.
Bear in mind, I do not intend on needing the original standard dashboard, steering wheel, etc.. as this will no longer be a DD.
I can wire the gauges individually if necessary, it will have a quick release, so on..

Anyone else, also, that has undertaken this or has spent enough time dealing with the drive-line of these cars please feel free to chime in! Thanks!
Schain

Post by Schain »

I'll chime in here. I have a 2007 PRHT NC that I paid to have swapped from the 6AT to the 6 speed manual. While I haven't had any transmission problems; my engine light is stuck on since there is no communication between the ECU and the non-existent auto trans, my speedo doesn't work, and my retractable hardtop won't lower. The shop that did the swap hasn't been able to solve these problems. I believe the key is linked to the ECU and you have an auto ECU. If you don't care about the speedo and constant engine light then go for it because these seem to be the hardest part of the swap. If you find a fix for any of my problems, please let me know. Thanks.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

You won't be able to wire the stock instruments individually, since they're computer-driven (by the processor in the instrument cluster). Most don't even have normal inputs, but get their info via a network connection from the ECU. Also, unless you reprogram the ECU, you won't be able to run without the stock cluster, since that's what talks to the key. These cars don't even have the notion of "ignition power"; the ECU is powered all the time, and the start-up signal comes over the network from cluster to ECU. Welcome to modern cars.

If you do want to run without the cluster, talk to Joe at Dynotronics -- he claims to be able to do that (by reprogramming the ECU).
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

To start with the easy part first....

Yes, Joe with Dynotronics can code the ECU to not need the instrument cluster. My car is set up like that. That said, I don't know how willing he is to do it unless your car is a race car only as mine is.

So, back to the start. I'll see if I can find a list of parts again for the swap.

In regards to Schain, let me throw a couple things out at you. First, you should DEFINITELY talk to Joe with Dynotronics. He can source a manual trans ECU for you and put a tune on it that will get your speedo working again and it should get rid of your check engine light. I'd think it would also get your PRHT working correctly. My guess on that is that the car probably needed to be in Park or Neutral for the top to function when the car was an automatic. Since there is no signal coming from the new transmission, it assumes that it's not safe to use the PRHT.

Secondly, my car was an absolute DOG when I did the conversion. I felt like the car gained 30+ horsepower with the retuned ECU that I got from Joe. I think there was somewhat of a limp home mode going on. Keep in mind that I also got a little higher tune because my car is a race only car.

All of my gauges do work now, so I'm not as worried about replacing them, but probably eventually will.