SEMA 2011 Custom MX5

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

SEMA 2011 Custom MX5

Post by Brian »

Mazda briefly had the picture up...and I assume we will see more of this at the SEMA show next week.
Attachments
MazdaSema2011MX5.jpg
MazdaSema2011MX5.jpg (91.02 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Re: SEMA 2011 Custom MX5

Post by skeeler »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. It almost looks like a photochop, to my untrained eyes, especially the front bumper cover and the top. Actually, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a 'chop. Perhaps it's a photochop of a car that wasn't quite finished yet.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I like the bumper cover, and I'd love to see it offered as a painted part. It looks like it would work with the NC2 headlights. The brake ducts are a little overdone, IMO. Note the LED fog lamps.
  • The top is clearly a response to the Boxster Spyder. The "MX5 SPYDER" on the front bumper/grill really emphasize the car's inspiration. If this is realy, why no hyphen in the name?
  • It looks too me like the windshield is cut down. Look how close the quarter window gets to the top of the windshield surround.
  • What's the badge on the fender?
  • The steering wheel has a red center stripe, and the seat belts are red. That's pretty good attention to detail for a photochop.
  • The black bumper/grill appears to curve back away from the front fascia on the sides. I don't think it can physically do that in the real car. That's another indication of photographic fakery.
  • I can't help but wonder what the mechanical changes are, other than the obvious brake upgrade and larger wheels. Oh, and the suspension is clearly lowered.
  • The tires don't look any wider than stock. Compared to the 255s on my STR NC, they look downright puny. That suggest there's nothing new going on under the hood.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More Pics From SEMA. Radical rake on the windshield means no chance at production, just styling fun. Same with the nose, which I like, but am told we will not get that as bolt on for existing cars (Mazda just wanted us to know they are getting away from the SMILE).
Attachments
s3.jpg
s3.jpg (124.25 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (101.23 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Translated, this car is a catalog of stuff you wouldn't want, and stuff you'd love to have but they won't make. Ho hum.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

A closeup of the nose...
Attachments
Mazda SEMA Spider MX5.jpg
Mazda SEMA Spider MX5.jpg (103.81 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Really is a nice-looking nose. To my eye it looks so sweeping that it's actually a mismatch to the rest of the car. It would be cool if someone would make a nose like this, with a rear that matched. Then if we could smooth over the existing wheel arches, we'd have a real winner!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yeah, I too like the nose. Enough so that I asked about odds of getting it made available rather like the MazdaSpeed noses were and was given the expected answer of 'not likely'.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Maybe you should (and probably did...) ask about doing like you did with last year's SEMA hit, the flares? ;)

Or maybe those haven't turned out to be a win?
RUKnight

Post by RUKnight »

How about the top Brian? I'd love a top like that for my NC
Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I recall back in my NA/NB days I would sometimes run around with the zip out window laying flat and the top up to keep the sun from beating down on me when it was really hot out. I imagine a Bikini top would give a similar result....but I don't imagine that one coming to market from Mazda. Perhaps somebody aftermarket will give it a try for NC. Some of our younger NA/NB customers beat Mazda to this trick long ago for NA application.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com