SEMA Show.....2011

Welcome to the Good-Win Racing Forum. Feel free to tell us who you are, leave any comments or suggestionson how we can serve you better
Brian
Site Admin

SEMA Show.....2011

Post by Brian »

It is almost time for the annual pilgrimage to all things CAR.....the annual SEMA Convention in Las Vegas!

If folks know of any "not to miss" new Mazda applicable goodies that will be at the show let me know and we will get some pictures.
Attachments
MazdaSema2011.jpg
MazdaSema2011.jpg (91.02 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
MazdaSema2011m2.jpg
MazdaSema2011m2.jpg (115.09 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grippy

Re: SEMA Show.....2011

Post by grippy »

Brian,

Please keep your eyes open for an intake manifold for the Mx-5. I can't believe no one makes one yet as the stock manifold seems to be quite restrictive, or so I am told.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

I'm REALLY looking forward to your pics and description of the Mazdas at SEMA, Brian! I still have my fingers crossed that they decide to build & bring a lightweight NC to the USA (like the Super20 SEMA car last year) so I can finally remove my soft top!

Grippy, regarding the stock intake for the NC, I think you may have been told wrong...

According to the knowledgeable folks at Mazdaspeed, the stock intake (lightweight variable-intake plastic surge tank & aluminum manifold) on the NC is actually one of the reasons the 2.0 MZR makes good torque. Combined with the stock throttle body, it flows well enough to make stupid power with a turbo. It's good enough that no one has come up with an individual throttle body setup yet for the stock block & head (may improve hp slightly but at a loss of tq).

It's true that Brian and others are using the Cosworth barrel throttle unit on internally modified engines (2.3/2.5L motors with higher CR, cams, big valve heads, etc.), but it won't fit on the 2.0 without modifying the firewall (according to the knowledgeable folks at Cosworth), and wouldn't really help a stock block/head engine anyway.

Believe me...I'll be the first in line once someone comes up with a valid, tested, and proven replacement. I need all the help I can get in CSP!
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We are back.

Posted the pics in Miata section but will repeat them here:

MazdaSpeed2
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I like the spider nose but was told that's just to let us know where things are going (which is away from the SMILE and back to Five Point mouth?).

Like the Bikini top though it is far from new on the Miata.

Radical rake lets you know that windshield on the Spider is just for show.

Love the MazdaSpeed2 but told if it happens it would be 2 or 3 years away. I would buy it TODAY if it existed.

Frankly, the car that really got my attention was the Scion FR-S version of the FT86. Seen the concept before but got a chance to walk around it and touch it from different angles and in person the proportions really work. I think Toyota and Subaru have a massive hit on its hands when that car gets to market. The ultra low center of gravity from the rear drive flat direct injection four should make it a serious little driver's car. I did not realize how small it is, how compact it is, until I was next to it and it felt almost like FD RX7 size with hood equally low thanks to that flat four motor. I really wish Mazda would make us a fastback hardtop MX5!
Attachments
Scion FRS Toyota FT86.jpg
Scion FRS Toyota FT86.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

For our boosted customers I really like the new AEM "FailSafe" which is a programable and logging WideBand setup. If you are on the track and develop a problem that causes the car to go lean then the system face will start blinking YELLOW like a oil pressure warning light. Could save a motor! You can program the point at which it starts to flash, and you can do sophisticated logging and analysis.
Attachments
AEM Digital FAILSAFE WIDEBAND.jpg
AEM Digital FAILSAFE WIDEBAND.jpg (285.41 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grippy

Post by grippy »

Brian,
Any sign of a PNP ECU for the NC from anyone?
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

grippy wrote:Brian,
Any sign of a PNP ECU for the NC from anyone?
Not that I saw...because there is not much demand.

The reflashing is getting better and better. Our MotoEast reflash in our supercharged 2007 is so good that I can't imagine why most would invest in a PNP ECU at this point. Our turbo NC owners using the MotoEast reflash are reliably making well north of 300 at the wheels. The one weakness in the current reflash setup is that it leaves factory coils. I have found the HKS setup helpful but that is now discontinued and a true PNP ECU with programmable coil upgrade like the old TECII setups would be helpful in reaching the next level of performance.....but perhaps there are five customers for that in the country today? I don't think that's enough customer base to justify development costs at this time.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another new item we like is the new slot pattern from DBA. All the function of the prior 6x6 but with one part for both left and right side. Expect to see this slowly become the standard for DBA application.
Attachments
DBA5000 Rotors New Pattern.jpg
DBA5000 Rotors New Pattern.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
DBA5000 New Miata Big Brake Pattern.jpg
DBA5000 New Miata Big Brake Pattern.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
New DBA Rotor TSlot Pattern.jpg
New DBA Rotor TSlot Pattern.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
New DBA Rotor Slot Pattern.jpg
New DBA Rotor Slot Pattern.jpg (180.48 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com