Diff carrier bracket question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Captaincrunch

Diff carrier bracket question

Post by Captaincrunch »

Stupid me, I removed it for bushing install without remembering how it was mounted.

Is it:

OR

Any help is appreciated.
By the way, this is for the NC MX5
jboemler

Re: Diff carrier bracket question

Post by jboemler »

Whichever way it fits into the car? Shouldn't be too hard to see where the horns mate up.

Or failing that, you could just use picture 2 as your guide.
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Took a look at my photos from my install and its ears to the back as in your pic #2. You can check my photo, with the ear clearly behind the axle.

Of course, by now you've probably completed your install. How's the new diff feel?
Attachments
DSCN2103.jpg
DSCN2103.jpg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
Captaincrunch

Post by Captaincrunch »

Thanks for the help morrisg. Yes I've already gotten it in there.

I haven't pushed the car hard yet. I did notice quite a bit more NVH due to the Powerflex mounts I installed while the diff was out.

When autocross resumes after the New Years, I'll make sure the car gets a good workout!
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

I left the stock mounts on my OS Giken and absolutely no problems running STR class autox. Car exits corners well, just plant the throttle and it goes, no understeer, no oversteer, no drama. So you may consider going back to the soft OEM diff bushings if it's your daily driver like mine.
Captaincrunch

Post by Captaincrunch »

The reason why I made the switch with new bushings is because with basic hand tools and not an extra pair of helping hands, it took me about 5 hours to remove the diff, another 4 to install it back in.

Since Quaife won't wear out like a clutch type LSD, I just wanted to do it once and for all, and never have to remove it again... hopefully!

The car's no longer my daily driver. I do drive 100 miles to attend some events, but that's once a month, so no biggie.