Making an NC corner as flat as an S2000

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Curves

Making an NC corner as flat as an S2000

Post by Curves »

I am cross shopping between a new NC and a used S2000. The NC with "sport" suspension was too soft.

What suspension setup on an NC would make it corner as flat as an S2000? I am looking at a starting point so I can figure out how much factors into the cost of the NC. Of course if I end up with an NC I may go beyond the starting point :D
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Making an NC corner as flat as an S2000

Post by Brian »

Fun question. The stock suspension on the S2000 is stiffer, though the chassis design is much older, heavier than NC. Thus, though NC comes with silly soft springs and sways, you can get equal 'flatness' with less serious rates on the lighter NC. The Eibach Pro Kit or Progress springs and any of our sway bar kits will get you past a stock S2000 in the corners. Give equal mods to the S2000 and the competition stays close....really close (the NC and S2000 compete head to head in SCCA STR class and the competition results have been incredibly tight). Both great roadsters and you can't go wrong with either.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Curves

Post by Curves »

Thanks Brian. Looking at those goodies in your store, the MX-5 really is cheap to upgrade compared to the Boxster I had in 2001-2005. Something that weighs heavily in favor of an NC that is for sure!
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Is this flat enough for you? Vail pic is at about 35mph; 2011 Solo Nats pic below is at about 55mph. Street suspension can do almost this well and not be as "firm" as the race suspension on my car!

Vail National Tour, early August 2009 by rpmchris, on Flickr
Day 2, 2011 SCCA Solo Nationals by rpmchris, on Flickr
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the pics Chris, like the stance on the big rubber, your MX5 looks great!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

Hey rpmchris,is that the oem appearance package on your car?
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

I considered an S2000 CR before I bought my '09 NC2 Touring. I went with the Miata in part because it was cheaper to buy, modify, repair, insure, fuel, and put tires on. Plus, I prefer my cars small.

But, as you say, the NC's shortcoming is ridiculously soft stock suspension. I'd definitely include dampers and springs and possibly sway bars in your budget. Fortunately, the NC response very well to these changes; the car is transformed with by a not-too-expensive suspension swap.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Dubcity wrote:Hey rpmchris,is that the oem appearance package on your car?
Yep. The Appearance Package (then and now) consists of a new front airdam, side sill extensions, and rear skirt. I also have the rear lip spoiler. LOVE the look, but the weight must come off.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
MX-5 Track Dog

Post by MX-5 Track Dog »

rpmchris wrote:Is this flat enough for you? Vail pic is at about 35mph; 2011 Solo Nats pic below is at about 55mph. Street suspension can do almost this well and not be as "firm" as the race suspension on my car!

Brian,

This has probably been asked before but, what wheels and tires are/were you running in these pics? The car looks great.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

MX-5 Track Dog wrote:
rpmchris wrote:Is this flat enough for you? Vail pic is at about 35mph; 2011 Solo Nats pic below is at about 55mph. Street suspension can do almost this well and not be as "firm" as the race suspension on my car!

Brian,

This has probably been asked before but, what wheels and tires are/were you running in these pics? The car looks great.
That is not my NC above. We will need to let Chris chime in on that combo in that picture, I know that he has changed a few times.

Ours uses our 38mm 18x10.5 Enkei PFO1 and I also have several sets of our 18x10 RPF1 38mm. My guess is that Chris is using the 18x9.5 45mm RPF1 in the front, and 38mm 18x10 RPF1 in the rear in these pictures.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com