Carbon flywheel & clutch over Fidanza and ACT clutch

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
OM-ARC

Carbon flywheel & clutch over Fidanza and ACT clutch

Post by OM-ARC »

I'm running a turbo NC at about 20psi - I need to replace the aluminum plate on my Fidanza flywheel. I'm running an ACT six puck clutch but the combo squeals more than I'd like and is difficult to operate in heavy traffic (the MX5 is a daily). Should I consider the carbon combo for the 6 speed and swap the hole thing out? Is the carbon flywheel comparable in weight and feel to the Fidanza? Out of all my mods the flywheel is up on my list of "best" mods and would not like to take a step back with a heavier flywheel.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Carbon flywheel & clutch over Fidanza and ACT clutch

Post by Brian »

The carbon setup is less weight, much easier pedal....but not rated to hold as much power as that ACT 6 puck. How much HP are you making at the wheels?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
relentless

Post by relentless »

I would also like to know the weight of the carbon flywheel.

Please advise. Thanks.
OM-ARC

Post by OM-ARC »

Brian - not sure, have not dynoed it yet. But how does that rating work? I don't track the car just some spirited driving. Can I assume that even if the hp numbers come in above the rating of the clutch assembly that if I don't do any hard starts it should work. I guess what I'm asking is under full boost out of fourth gear for example, can the clutch begin to spin if the hp produce exceed the hp rating for the assembly? I would assume that once the clutch is engaged it will hold. The power rating is more for how much power can be applied at takeoff before it starts to slip.... or I'm all wrong.
rjsmith

Post by rjsmith »

Hi,

This clutch is rated for 300ft/lbs to the tire.

Horsepower = (torque x rpm)/5252, torque is how hard I hit you and horsepower is how often I hit you that hard. For example if your engine makes 300ft/lbs of torque at 5,000rpm that would be equal to 285hp. Now if you can make the same 300ft/lbs of torque at 7,000rpm that would be equal to 400hp. So this clutch could hold anywhere from 285hp to over 400hp depending on at what rpm you make the torque. Heres a fun fact, a 850hp F1 engine reving to 18000rpm makes.....wait for it.........248ft/lbs of torque, which is why they can run such a small clutch package.

The total weight of this clutch package(flywheel, disc, and pressure plate bolted together) is 16lbs. The stock flywheel itself weighs 16lbs. Reducing the weight of the whole clutch kit is better than just reducing the flywheel weight.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I guys, we have them packed assembled Clutch AND Flywheel.

COMBINED weight of clutch and flywheel....just 16.5 pounds for MX5 2.0 versions.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
relentless

Post by relentless »

Brian wrote:I guys, we have them packed assembled Clutch AND Flywheel.

COMBINED weight of clutch and flywheel....just 16.5 pounds for MX5 2.0 versions.
A/ Yes, there is a tremendous total weight saving with this package which is something that I am very interested in buying ... but ....

B/ What is the weight or estimated weight of the flywheel ?

Thanks............
rjsmith

Post by rjsmith »

Hi,

As this flywheel can only be used with the pressure plate provide with the kit, the weight of the flywheel is not as important as the overall weight of the clutch kit. Because of the light weight properties of the carbon/carbon material the alum flywheel does not need to be cut away as much as one with a steel insert ring. This being said the major weight savings for this clutch kit comes from being able to replace the steel friction ring in the pressure plate with the alum piece and the carbon.
relentless

Post by relentless »

rjsmith wrote:Hi,

As this flywheel can only be used with the pressure plate provide with the kit, the weight of the flywheel is not as important as the overall weight of the clutch kit. Because of the light weight properties of the carbon/carbon material the alum flywheel does not need to be cut away as much as one with a steel insert ring. This being said the major weight savings for this clutch kit comes from being able to replace the steel friction ring in the pressure plate with the alum piece and the carbon.
OK ... I am not an expert here ... but I currently have an AutoExe clutch with a Maruha flywheel. It is a lot of fun with a better sports clutch and especially with a lightweight flywheel.

Now ... please explain what this new carbon clutch/flywheel combo is going to feel like driving.

I can understand the potential benefits -- but I don't know what the actual driving experience would be like.

Why would I want to buy this combo (which I would like to do if it is better) -vs- an ACT clutch and Fidanza setup ?

Summary: A review and explanation of the driving experience is needed.

Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The 'feel' is very much like the stock clutch with a light flywheel. Thus, the attraction is the ability to hold the power without a heavy pedal. Pedal pressure is much lighter than ACT or Exedy choices....yet it holds the 300hp that our supercharged 2007 makes. My wife started racing last year and she found the ACT a little too difficult. She is about 120 pounds and she burned up an ACT clutch in just a few events. She has no problems with the carbon unit. Similarly, our first customer for the 1.8 size is a friend of mine who has a supercharged NB and needs a stock-like pedal pressure to enjoy his Miata because of some medical issues that prevent him from comfortably working a heavy clutch pedal.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com