Turbo's

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Panic.button

Turbo's

Post by Panic.button »

Between the goodwin/miata/clubroadster forums it seems that there are a large handful of people making their own turbo systems. I don't know much about FI systems but I figured when people want FI they lean more towards the pre-built kits like the ones sold through goodwin. If this is not the case and one simply wanted a different size turbo etc.. is it relatively hard to make your own turbo system? Would the cost be equivalent to the pre-built turbo kits?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Turbo's

Post by Brian »

Are you a good welder, or a great welder?

Our NC Extreme project is finally getting near the dyno tune. Should be north of 400 when finished. That said, we used the 'bones' of a BEGI kit because re-inventing all the parts in the kit just does not make sense. I have done turbo setups from scratch and fabricated every piece but usually somebody has already made the part you need, done it better, and got all (or most) of the kinks already worked out. So, I guess it depends on what sort of project you want. I would at least get a BEGI manifold (gorgeous piece!) and intercooler.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

Not well enough to do most of that by hand. I read more into some of the things you mentioned and it is quite a bit of work! Brian you mentioned that you used the begi kit as a start for your project, would one have the ability to purchase those parts separately? Also when it comes to the begi turbo kit, are turbos(manifold) plug and play? Take for example if I wanted a different size turbo(smaller) could I slap it on the begi kit with no necessity for other supporting parts?

Thanks for the responses... slowly learning about FI kits.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes...Begi kits have flexible configuration.....including selection of turbo size and intercooler size. We even did a custom color on the intercooler tubes.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to reading more about your turbo project! Best of luck with moving the shop^