NC Clutch Questions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Driven5

NC Clutch Questions

Post by Driven5 »

I'm currently working to put together a lightweight flywheel setup on a special application of the MZR/Duratec, and am trying to find out if there is any potential combination of standard parts that could be used before being forced to go custom. As such I have a couple of questions that I have been unable to find the anwers to thus far, basically trying to find out the exact differences between, and a few dimensions for, both flywheels and both clutches. If the numbers calculate out right it would certainly make my life easier being able to just buy my parts here for a fraction of the price to develop my own.

Do the 5-speed and 6-speed clutches physically interchangable from the standpoint of the flywheel (not the car/transmission), such that a 5-speed clutch would bolt to a 6-speed flywheels while equally clamping the friction disc and vis versa?

Is there any possibility of being provided with accurate measurements, with a caliper or other precision instrument, for both a complete 5-speed and 6-speed flywheel/clutch assemblies from the spring finger release bearing surface to crank flange mounting face, as well as from the from the same spring surface to the starter side of the ring gear? Both measurements could easily be done at the same time with a fully bolted together (including friction disc) assembly laying upside down on a flat surface and measuring down to that surface, although the ring gear especially would benefit from measuring at a few different points to ensure the assembly is actually sitting level on the spring face.

I believe they should be the same, but what is the ring gear tooth count for each?

Since the clutch/flywheel combo has to work correctly within a limited range for the specified transmission, I would would guess that it would make minimal difference regarding these particular preliminary measurements whether it was an OEM or aftermarket setup for each. Is this assumption correct such that the OEM, Exedy, and ACT clutches are all interchangable regardless of flywheel, or does each clutch need to be matched to a specific flywheel either because of mounting patterns or the dimensional stack up?

I understand that it might not be realistically possible to get all of this information, and I certainly respect that...But anything help I can get is greatly appreciated! :oops:
Justin

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Ferdinand Porsche
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Clutch Questions

Post by Brian »

Flywheel is the same for both the 5 speed and 6speed. The clutch kits are not... Sorry, don't have time to take measurements for you.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Actually, the only difference between the two clutches is the disc, and they are only different in that the input shaft on the transmissions have different splines. The pressure plates and flywheels are interchangeable.

Ron
Driven5

Post by Driven5 »

Brian wrote:Flywheel is the same for both the 5 speed and 6speed. The clutch kits are not... Sorry, don't have time to take measurements for you.
Thanks for the clarification, and your time limitations are totally understandable.
ronbauer wrote:Actually, the only difference between the two clutches is the disc, and they are only different in that the input shaft on the transmissions have different splines. The pressure plates and flywheels are interchangeable.

Ron
That's definitely helpful, thanks!
Justin

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Ferdinand Porsche