Low rear ride height after Koni sport install

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JeffreyA077

Low rear ride height after Koni sport install

Post by JeffreyA077 »

Question: What am I missing? Anyone tried spacers on top of the springs to raise rear ride height?

Observation: Got the Koni sports from Goodwin installed (kept stock springs) and front ride height is a little over 1/2 inch higher than the back and gets worse with passengers. (also have the racing beat front sway installed)

I have read and tried several approaches to torquing the a-arm and shock bolts but did not affect front height so the installer must have gotten that right.

Plan for now is to keep the car set up for CS and comfortable for my wife as her daily driver. My concern has to do with loading the car for a long trip and possibly bottoming out on an unexpected bump which happened over the weekend. I know others have experienced this but not seen any solutions other than retorquing the bolts under load (again which has been done).

With that in mind I was wondering if anyone has tried adding say a one inch spacer to the top of the rear spring to try and gain some height/ground clearance. We can live with it but would be nice to tweak it some

ps... very happy with the mildly firmer ride and adjustability from these parts

Lyyroix
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Low rear ride height after Koni sport install

Post by Brian »

What year Miata?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JeffreyA077

Post by JeffreyA077 »

Forgot to say .. 2010 prht touring
mitchman

Post by mitchman »

It's been a while since I ran Koni Sports, but I seem to remember that they came with ride height adjusters. You can run 1 of 3 available shims. But this was on a 1995 Miata, so maybe the models for NC's are different.
'06 MX-5 (STR)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That height adjustable feature is only on 90-97 application.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

sounds similar to whats plaguing the FM/Tokico setup on NC2's... front remains higher than rear.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Except here the customer didn't change the springs....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
294 SiLo

Post by 294 SiLo »

I have always thought my MX5 looked a tad taller in the front VS rear even after my Koni Sport W/ "Factory Springs" install it only dropped around a 1/2 inch ~all around, if you are hitting the rear "even the massive factory muffler" on normal objects on the road/speedbumps then there may be other issues ie:rear shock install *all parts in the right order* that need to be worked out, IMO. :)
07' MX5 w/ Koni Sports
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

JeffreyA077 wrote:Question: What am I missing? Anyone tried spacers on top of the springs to raise rear ride height?

Observation: Got the Koni sports from Goodwin installed (kept stock springs) and front ride height is a little over 1/2 inch higher than the back and gets worse with passengers. (also have the racing beat front sway installed)

I have read and tried several approaches to torquing the a-arm and shock bolts but did not affect front height so the installer must have gotten that right.

Plan for now is to keep the car set up for CS and comfortable for my wife as her daily driver. My concern has to do with loading the car for a long trip and possibly bottoming out on an unexpected bump which happened over the weekend. I know others have experienced this but not seen any solutions other than retorquing the bolts under load (again which has been done).

With that in mind I was wondering if anyone has tried adding say a one inch spacer to the top of the rear spring to try and gain some height/ground clearance. We can live with it but would be nice to tweak it some

ps... very happy with the mildly firmer ride and adjustability from these parts

Lyyroix
Was it done right?
Whats your location? If your in AZ I would be happy to reload the front springs.
As for the front RB sway-bar, why? The car understeers form Mazda. The Stock PRHT front is stiffer then the soft top car. If I *remember* right the rear sway-bar from the PRHT & the soft top are the same with the susp. pack.

AZ