NC Rollbar Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
pdxa4

Re: NC Rollbar Installation

Post by pdxa4 »

JonU wrote:Really nice work. BTW, what seat covers are those?
Tks,

They are Wet Okole's...

06 Sunlight Silver NC, Sport LSD.
H&R coilovers, Goodwin RACE exhaust, several other mods.(Sold)
19 Artic White ND2, Club with Brembo, BBS and Recaro
Goodwin Race exhaust, RoadsterSport suspension package
99 NB 10th Anniversary
pdxa4

Post by pdxa4 »

Brian wrote:Looking sharp, will get that trim piece your direction to finish it off.
Tks Brian.

Let me know on email when it ships out, thanks...
99 NB 10th Anniversary
BenjaminA018

Post by BenjaminA018 »

Hi Brian, I'm looking for a roll bar for my 06 NC that I can use on track days. I like the stockish look of the double loop and the see the rear supports are indeed in the "upper third" of the bar... How much extra support do the rear bars actually provide?

Any idea whether this double loop is generally deemed "track-acceptable"? I saw your post about not looking to get it SCCA/NASA certified, but that was back in 2008. Any changes to this status? Can anyone else with 1st hand track inspection approval/disapproval comment on this?

Also, weld-down plates are included in kit, yes?

Thank you!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The weld down plates included. I never had issue getting into events but certainly any double hoop gets more scrutiny from tech inspection than any standard single hoop design. We never got NASA to respond to everything we sent them.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BenjaminA018

Post by BenjaminA018 »

No chance in getting a Silver Finish Upgraded Bar Version 2 with REAR REMOVABLE SUPPORTS anytime soon? I dont care for the petty bar option as it prevents a ride along on track day, yet the extra diagonal support looks much beefier...

Will I need an additional harness brace for the silver upgraded bar and the quick change single hoop, or can they attach to the crossbeam somehow if one is handy and has a tap set?

Also, what's the average delivery time on the roll bars? Are they in stock and ready to go, or made up per order? I'm considering the double hoop with rear supports, the quick change single hoop with rear supports, or the silver upgraded bar with no supports.

Thanks... Sorry to be pain :oops:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We won't be making the version II is a 1.75 bar .....and note the Quick Change design uses a much beefier 2 inch OD x .120 thickness tubing.

Double hoops finally in stock after months of waiting.

Single hoops with diagonal have been out of stock for months, but hope to have new batch done soon. I think we have a Quick Change in stock but not sure which color.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
slilley

Post by slilley »

Back in April I installed the Version 2 AWR rollbar in my 2006 MX-5. The installation was pretty smooth. I did have to enlarge one of the holes at the base of the rollbar by about 1/16" to allow it to mate to the factory studs, but that was the only part of the install that had me swearing. The rest went pretty smoothly, based on the great instructions here and from Safe Gabe. Once I was done with the rollbar install, I didn't like the way the black fiberglass cap fit over the bar and the holes, so I opted to do without it. Probably my fault that the fiberglass cap didn't fit too well, as I was trying to trim as little plastic as possible. (For example, I tried to keep the clips intact on the plastic pieces directly behind the passenger seat where the rollbar diagonal passes below sight. I think the final gaps could have been smaller if I hadn't been trying to keep those clips intact -- which would have made the fiberglass cap fit nicer.) So instead of the fiberglass cap, I reused the bottom of the flip-up windblocker to plug the middle holes, and some black terry towels to make the other gaps less noticeable. Overall, I was very pleased with the outcome!

For driving on the highway, especially on the cooler days or on extended 1+ hour drives, I immediately missed the flip-up wind deflector. So I began a search for a replacement wind deflector. Initially I considered plexiglass or lexan wind deflectors, but all those would have required drilling or clamping the windblocker to the rollbar. Because of limited clearance behind the bar, they would have made it a real challenge to put the top up or down with the windblocker in place. Then I stumbled onto Mr. Stitch custom mesh windscreens: http://www.mrstitch.com/windscreens.htm. I sent Len Vincent from Mr. Stitch a cardboard pattern of the rollbar, along with pictures of the car/rollbar, and he was able to make a custom windblocker that fits perfectly over the rollbar! I can even put the top up and down with the windblocker in place. It's made of a material called Monster Mesh. It blocks most or all of the backdraft, but you can still see through it fairly well. It's easy to remove/install as well; it probably takes me <1 minute to put it on or take it off. I haven't had a reason to take it off since putting it on a couple weeks ago. Cost was about $200, plus shipping. Pictures are attached below. I have no affiliation with GoodWin or Mr. Stitch, except that I'm a satisfied customer of both. :D
DSC00643 (Medium).JPG
DSC00643 (Medium).JPG (68.01 KiB) Viewed 18458 times
DSC00646 (Medium).JPG
DSC00646 (Medium).JPG (62.81 KiB) Viewed 18458 times
DSC00653 (Medium).JPG
DSC00653 (Medium).JPG (91.31 KiB) Viewed 18458 times
Regards,
Steve
2006 MX-5 Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That's a cool windblocker mod, nice work!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
whptgud

Post by whptgud »

I installed the GWR upgraded single diagonal roll bar with petty bar option. The removal and bar installation was fast and easy. My enhancement though took another 8+ hours. I tidied up the pan for a smoother flat surface and relocated a few wires. I made a new mount and relocated the gas pull. I can now open the gas pull by releasing the seat back while standing outside. Instead of cutting and reusing the plastic panels, I used thick low weight insulation on the pan and found matching carpet to use as a cover. My better half sewed the carpet. The new bar (without petty) was about 8 pounds heavier than the stock one. The plastic removed weighed about 10 pounds and the new padding with carpet was 4 pounds. So, the weight gain was only 2 pounds. I like how it opens up the interior and the extra storage space is useful. I still need to have the base plate for the petty bar welded and plan to refabricate a new top release to complete the project. Overall, I’m very happy with the bar and how it turned out.
Roll5sm.JPG
Roll5sm.JPG (187.03 KiB) Viewed 16432 times
Attachments
Roll6sm.JPG
Roll6sm.JPG (190.83 KiB) Viewed 16432 times
06 GT GG, PSS10, Hotchkis, GWR exhaust, RPF1, AD08, IL braces, MS, dptune
91 A CR 5sp, Millen, FM, GAB, MOMO, Panasport, Naca, braced
pdxa4

Post by pdxa4 »

Nice install Dennis.

The carpet looks great ! Very tidy...
99 NB 10th Anniversary