Can you recommend a good warranty shop in San Diego?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
eluviis

Can you recommend a good warranty shop in San Diego?

Post by eluviis »

Mainly for Brian, or others in the know, in San Diego.

I confirmed that my 2011 MX5 with 3,800 miles has some tranny noises that might be the pilot or throwout bearings. It's a rattle that occurs between 1,800-2,200 revs in most gears. You can read more about it here:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=467199

Now it sounds like my transmission will have to be dropped in order to get it fixed. I can take it straight to the dealer I bought the car from (Bob Baker Mazda in Carlsbad) - But I was wondering if there is a particular Mazda warranty shop in San Diego area (or even LA) that you guys can fully recommend.

I consider dropping the tranny quite a bit of a job, so I want to make sure the people doing it are good and will get it right the first time.

By the way... I didn't break the tranny. It's been doing this since day 1. All my cars have been manuals.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Can you recommend a good warranty shop in San Diego?

Post by Brian »

My preference is Mazda of Escondido.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Don't sweat too much, Danny. The transmission R&R is pretty easy on these cars. Good luck with the fix.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

@Brian, thanks... I'm going to give them a call now. @Jim, I figured it wouldn't be too hard. They might have to drop the transmission to access the clutch (it's where I'm guessing the problem lies), but it's not like they have to take the actual tranny apart.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

The dealer would probably never take the transmission apart regardless -- more likely just replace with a new unit if required. If they don't find anything wrong inside the clutch housing, that's probably what they'll do.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Well, I called Escondido a couple of times and wasn't able to get a hold of the service manager. During that time Bob Baker Mazda in Carlsbad (where I bought the car) called me and were really nice to me. The conversation went well so I went ahead and scheduled and appointment for 7:30am.

They say that Mazda sometimes will send a tech from Irvine when the problem on a new car is a drivetrain problem. They say they take it really seriously and they find those to be very rare. Dunno if they are just trying to make me feel good or not, ha, but at least it was reassuring.

Nice thing is, the noise happens all the time, so it's easy to replicate. It's not like it won't do it tomorrow morning. So I'll report back later when I have more info.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

So, I just heard back from dealer about my car.

Basically, both the dealer and Mazda corporate are on the fence on what to do. They can tell that there is a noise and they have compared it to another car. They tell me that since the noise is minimal, they don't really want to drop the transmission and prod in there if they don't know what they are looking for or what they are replacing.

They tell me to continue driving the car and if an issue or a fix is discovered they'll take care of it later. Or if it gets worse, then they'll drop the transmission and look for the problem.

I do understand their position of not wanting to take the transmission down for a little noise. The car drives fine otherwise. Of course, I'd rather the transmission not be dropped. However, at the same time, after having driven another car and confirmed that it's smooth and quiet when pulling away from stop lights and driving through parking lots, I really would like my car to be like that. So it's a little disappointing having to drive away from the dealership without this small issue fixed. It hasn't been so terrible that I haven't been able to live with it, but it's obviously been enough of a concern to have been a nuisance and a bit of an embarrassment when I have passengers aboard that ask me "what's that noise?"

In fact, my wife test drove a Golf Gti the other day and said, "I like this one better. It's easier to drive and does not make those scary rattly noises yours does. I feel more confident driving it this stick."

But I guess that at this point, it is what it is. At least it's documented and I can carry on with the case in the future.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

"It is what it is" is pretty unsatisfying, though. I'd say go flog the hell out of it. Maybe it wears in, maybe you decide the low RPMs aren't as interesting as they are now, maybe it gets worse or fails entirely. Regardless, you win. But having it in the back of your mind forever just isn't good.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

^^^ Thanks for the advice. Not forever, just until I figure out my next move. But right this second, I can't just ask them to drop the transmission and poke around.

I drive spiritedly and have fun with the car. No question there.

But the bottom line is, when I'm pulling out of a parking lot, a stoplight, in heavy traffic, or driving in my neighborhood or on the way to the shops, or by the beach, or with my mum in the car, you are going slow. There are plenty of situations where you HAVE to go slow. I don't want a rattle coming from my drivetrain in those situations.

BTW, funny you say that Jim. The tech tried to tell me the same thing. To which I ask, "How are you going to drive through this parking lot full of brand new cars? At 4,000 RPM?"

He was driving at a little over 2,000 at the time, just like anyone would in an unsafe situation. Of course the noise was there.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

eluviis wrote:BTW, funny you say that Jim. The tech tried to tell me the same thing. To which I ask, "How are you going to drive through this parking lot full of brand new cars? At 4,000 RPM?"
Downshift into second! :lol: