roadster street header

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
AndreasM008

roadster street header

Post by AndreasM008 »

Brian, any updates on the catted roadster street header?
Panic.button

Re: roadster street header

Post by Panic.button »

AndreasM008

Post by AndreasM008 »

Just wondered when it will start shipping, already have on preorder.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My guess is still at least two weeks. Factory got a little behind with new Q demand....but then we decided to take another look at adding the second O2 sensor bung to the header itself. Thus, my fault for slowing things down even more! :oops:

I have laid awake at night thinking over and over about how we might get that second sensor mounted so as to skip the need for the second, and more expensive, Long extension cord. It was my hope that if we put the prototype back on the car we could figure it out. So, I stopped the factory from finishing the production JIG and had them send the prototype back down to us and it went back on the car. Rocky (head mechanic) actually gets the credit for figuring out our answer, he used a 45 degree angle mount for the second O2 sensor so we can point the lead back toward the mounting bracket where the plug is attached. If you release that plug for the second sensor from the bracket and use this new 45 degree bung, the second sensor can be easily mounted without the LONG second O2 sensor extension cord. Adding the second bung will raise the cost a few bucks....but not for those folks in the pre-order, and it will save customers having to buy that Long $49 cable. And, for those with pre-orders that include the second LONG extension cord we will be refunding that cord (I was under the impression we had not shipped any of those but learned today that we shipped a few, and we will send call tags for those). Now that we have this figured out the header will be back at the factory next week to finish the jig for production. Sorry for the delay...but it was worth making the product even better by lowering the effective install cost and hassle.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AndreasM008

Post by AndreasM008 »

Thanks Brian, going on vacation next week and didn't want it delivered while I'm gone. 8)
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Any photos of the new set-up?

Not to hijack this thread, any word on the new NC2 Progress springs?

AZ
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

CONFESSIONS OF A LIFELONG TINKERER... I recall once that my good friend Emilio from 949 Racing was delivering a few hundred of his excellent wheels to us and then was wandering around my work bench area looking at all the unfinished projects and muttering aloud: "yeah... tried that, tried that too, and that idea too," or words to that effect. I know he understands me because each batch of his wheels is better than the prior as he too continues to tinker and improve his designs, despite the fact that it has often led to long delays in delivery of his wheels. I readily admit that I share the same 'flaw' in that I sometimes have problems finishing a project. Or perhaps I should say that no project is ever actually finished, we simply reach a point where we must get it into production because customers are hungry for it and my further tinkering is not likely to result in further significant improvements. It sometimes drives my wife nuts....she is the corporation's CFO (which stands for Chief Financial Officer or Chief Female Officer....not sure which :lol: ), and eventually she arrives at my desk to tell me something like: 'do you realize you have over a year and $$,$$$ dollars in this project!' That has happened again here as the one year birthday for when we started spending big money on prototypes for testing is in August and I am determined to arrive at that date with product in customer's hands. On the one hand, I wish I could finish projects faster than I do, but on the other hand I am usually much more happy with the result when we hold something long enough to get it just that much better. My heart felt thanks to all customers who have been patient in waiting on this.

Here is a shot that shows the 49 degree angle Second sensor O2 bung installed so the sensor can point back in the direction of the lead. Somebody already emailed me about whether we can make similar mod to eliminate first O2 Sensor extension and so far I don't think so. With our short PPE header the first sensor is not near as far down as it is on this header. And though it is possible to follow the wire for the extension back to the harness, release it from the bracket that holds the plug, and then cut away enough of the tape, etc., to get it released all the way to the alternator....and thereby get the first sensor installed without the first extension......the cord for the first sensor is a bit more taut than we are comfortable with.. and thus I think the better practice will be to use the first extension cord. I certainly continue to reconsider this point over and over as we have now successfully on the longer second sensor extension but for the moment that's my best thoughts on the matter.

On the Springs with Progress, also delayed because of my continued tinkering... I need to pull the springs off the 2012 project car and get them back to Progress but we are testing some other stuff on the car today at an autocross event and I didn't want to add that change as yet another variable. Hopefully I can pull the springs early next week and get them back to Progress.
Attachments
Header second O2 mod.JPG
Header second O2 mod.JPG (98.82 KiB) Viewed 7898 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AndreasM008

Post by AndreasM008 »

Brian, I appreciate your honesty and integrity. I know when my header finally does arrive, it will be the best that it can be! :P
OttoW026

Post by OttoW026 »

Brian wrote:My guess is still at least two weeks. Factory got a little behind with new Q demand....but then we decided to take another look at adding the second O2 sensor bung to the header itself. Thus, my fault for slowing things down even more! :oops:

Any word on when it will start shipping?
'08 PRHT Anti-Sway bars, Coilovers, GWR Header, GWR Mid-pipe, GWR Q muffler, Enkei RPF1, DpTune...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Getting close...

First unit out of the production jig shows up from factory here today so we can do final test fit just to make sure everything came out correct.

Assuming I can resist making any more changes... :oops: ...then we continue with production of first dozen units.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com