MotoEast NC2 Tune Dyno Results - WOW!!!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
morrisg

MotoEast NC2 Tune Dyno Results - WOW!!!

Post by morrisg »

Here are the results from the MotoEast tune of my 2009 MX5 6 speed. Wow, I never expected gains this big from just a tune. The car mods are a PPE Engineering Long Tube Header and Midpipe, Goodwin race single muffler with baffle in place, and an AEM CAI legal install for SCCA STR class. That is, the CAI air filter is next to the passenger headlight and the plastic splash shield is in place below. The ONLY DIFFERENCE in the before and after dynos is the MotoEast tune.

The shop printout shows one before pull and two after pulls. The axes have funny values so its hard to read the actual gains. So I took the log printouts and put them into a spreadsheet, averaged the 3 before pulls and 2 after pulls, and charted the results. Wow! Huge torque gains across the board, about 10 lb-ft in the 3500 to 5500 band, and then increasing to 16 lb-ft as the revs climb to redline! And look at the horsepower gain in the chart, which actually grows larger as the revs climb, topping out at 24 hp at redline! This is a wonderful tune result and I'm a very happy guy!

Bottom line is the MotoEast NC2 tune is a winner!

Kudos also to the PPE Engineering Long Tube Header-Midpipe combo, which not only adds torque in the mid-range, but also lets the engine breathe freely all the way up to redline.

I think the car is ready for the SCCA Solo Nationals this September 3rd!
Attachments
MotoEast Tune Chart.png
MotoEast Tune Chart.png (166.8 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
MotoEast Tune Printout.jpg
MotoEast Tune Printout.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
jboemler

Re: MotoEast NC2 Tune Dyno Results - WOW!!!

Post by jboemler »

Couldn't you post something with higher resolution? On my 27 inch monitor, I could see the majority of the image. Those with 36" monitors may not even have to scroll.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Awesome Results!!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Sorry about the size of the charts! One was only 57kbytes and the other was 225kbytes, both under the 256kbyte limit for most bb forums.

Hmmm, maybe the size of the chart has something to do with the size of the gains??? :D :D :D
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

The gains are indeed impressive. I have a suspicion that the long-tube headers may have made your car (pre-tune) run even more rich, making the tune seem even more effective than it would on a stock car. As for images, size in bytes doesn't translate to size in area, especially for images with large areas of a single color. I'm just glad the forum software over at miata.net made the whole thing visible, or I'd still have no idea how well it all worked out for you! :mrgreen:
DustinK024

Post by DustinK024 »

Very impressed. What area are you from? I see your dyno sheet says fast specialties, I'm about 3min from there.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

jboemler wrote:The gains are indeed impressive. I have a suspicion that the long-tube headers may have made your car (pre-tune) run even more rich, making the tune seem even more effective than it would on a stock car. As for images, size in bytes doesn't translate to size in area, especially for images with large areas of a single color. I'm just glad the forum software over at miata.net made the whole thing visible, or I'd still have no idea how well it all worked out for you! :mrgreen:

Indeed I think it reasonable to assume that the further we get from the stock setup the more beneficial the custom tune becomes.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

@DustinKO24: I'm in Milwaukie, about 30 min south of Fast Specialties.

Agree with Brian, this is probably an upper limit on gains from changing a stock tune to a custom tune in an NA engine. I've already done the intake, full header and low restriction exhaust before getting a tune. Add to that the Mazda tune on the new 2009 forged engine internals was probably pretty conservative given the higher redline, thereby leaving more on the table. On the other hand, these kind of results give me great confidence in MotoEast and Mike Mann as a tuner that knows what he is doing. Not many people can pull 24 more hp out of a 2.0L NA engine with just a tune!
DustinK024

Post by DustinK024 »

Alright, well if you haven't already check out corksport. They had a recent mazda show and might do another one before the summer ends. Have you done any track days at PIR?
ourly

Post by ourly »

i have goodwin's exhaust front to back and moto east's tune. my car absolutely hauls ass. mike is a smart dude.