Questions about a new convertible top

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
P.Braeckel

Questions about a new convertible top

Post by P.Braeckel »

I've been reading around for the last couple of weeks, and have come to the conclusion that there is no definite conclusion over what is the best kind of top to get (vinyl or canvas, zipper or no zipper). Here's what I want to know: if I plan to only ever drive the car in nice weather with the top down (unless I get caught out and about and it starts raining), am I going to regret going with the cheap vinyl zipperless top? I know vinyl is more difficult to stretch and what not, but does the top itself fit any better or worse than the more expensive canvas tops? Also, is there any special care that should be given to prolong the life of the top? Any information is appreciated, thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Questions about a new convertible top

Post by Brian »

Your factory top was vinyl and most folks stay with vinyl. Upgrade to the Sunfast cloth if you want a richer/finer look but otherwise nothing to fear about the vinyl.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
P.Braeckel

Post by P.Braeckel »

Okay. Thanks Brian. The one on the car felt and looked like vinyl but I wasn't sure if it was original or not. Thanks again.
DavidP054

Post by DavidP054 »

I personally like the cloth, with the zipper glass window. More ventilation and I keep it open year round. Unless its raining. I also never lock my car or roll up my windows so... :shock:
P.Braeckel

Post by P.Braeckel »

David, my main problem with the cloth and the zipper is that I'm not certain how long there will even be a top in the car, and I don't want to spend the big bucks if I am just gonna take it out in a year or two.