New Kraftwerks INTERCOOLED Supercharger Kits

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New Kraftwerks INTERCOOLED Supercharger Kits

Post by Brian »

No CARB plans yet and I don't know the weight gain on the car.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
slampen

Post by slampen »

What if you want to take the kit further than it's 184hp. What is the options for that?
-95 BRG 1.8.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The first step I would take is a Megasquirt ECU or similar replacement ECU. That would give you much more precise control over fuel and timing and allow removing the factory Air/Mass sensor. I would also also add our upgraded throttle body, and one of our performance headers and exhaust if not already on the car. With these steps not much challenge to get over 200 at the wheels.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Rowge

Post by Rowge »

A few years back we bought the base Kraftwerks 5psi C30-74 kit for our 99 10AE (PS & A/C) through Good-Win. We spent a good amount of time getting it to work right on the 99 since we got it at the time KW went from their Gen 1 to Gen 2 kit, so a few pieces got changed out from that original kit. Then we had too many Miatas and put the 10AE up for sale (still is) and pulled off the Rotrex since we didn't think it would help sell it and then saw what the resell was on a kit.
Engine Bay 6x8.jpg
Engine Bay 6x8.jpg (155.53 KiB) Viewed 8079 times
All of that is to say that I've had to look into the mounting of the Rotrex since it was ending up on my Cartoon Miata, a 93 1.6L engine with NO PS or A/C. Found out that the Rotrex mounting bracket from the 99-00 kit works just fine on a 1.6 as long as you add the PS braket to hold the bottom and from looking at the instructions the Rotrex bracket looks the same. Since this kit wasn't around earlier this year when I got it all on, I used the 1.6 Miata CXRacing intercooler kit for plumbing. The intercooler piping lined up without any trouble once I rotated the outlet for the Rotrex straight down. Also running it with a CXRacing header (broke it 3 times so far, so get better for a Rotrex), 305cc Supra injectors (@100% DC @ 9.5psi @ 7200rpm @ 12:1 AFR), and a MSPNP9093 Gen 1. Still need to dyno and fully tune the spark, but right now at Gingerman I was pulling even with the S2K's down the straights.
Rotrex Frog 6x8.jpg
Rotrex Frog 6x8.jpg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 8079 times
tommyo wrote:What is the weight?
Skunk2 (who owns/runs KW) has the kit on their site and it says 40lbs as the shipping weight.
Ahkinusa wrote:What does it take to install one in an a/c but manual steering car, without going to power steering conversion?
Based on what I had to do to I would guess you would have to remove the manual pulley and bracket and put in a PS bracket to hold the lower mounting holes. Also a shorter belt with it going crank > auto-tensioner > Rotrex > idler > A/C

Short version:
My post is not the New kit listed. The Rotrex bracket can fit 90-05. Not a big deal if you have PS or A/C or either or both. It pulls like crazy but not overly dramatic. VTA is annoying on a Rotrex. Cheap headers break.

I can take or post any other pics if it would help out.

My questions on the kit:
I don't see anything to pull timing in the instructions?
The 90-93 instruction says in bold "Warning: engine rev limiter must be set below 7,400 rpm." but the dyno goes to 7900?
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Rowge wrote:VTA is annoying on a Rotrex.
I'm sure I'm just having a brain fart from too much work (I hate work) but WTH is VTA?
Thank you.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Rowge

Post by Rowge »

Chris Thompson wrote:I'm sure I'm just having a brain fart from too much work (I hate work) but WTH is VTA?
Thank you.
VTA = Vent to Atmosphere.

That purple bit hanging on the inlet to the intake manifold is the blow-off valve that came with the intercooler kit I bought. Because the air goes Rotrex > throttle body > engine there is always positive pressure on the BOV and throttle plate above 2k rpm (0psi/100kpa @ 2k; 9.5psi/165kpa @ 7.2k with an 88mm pulley). So whenever I'm off the throttle above 2k rpm, my BOV whistles very loud (all that air has to go somewhere). I'll be making the air recirculate over the winter (just like the original KW kit did and the new kits do) to get rid of that whistle. When a Rotrex has the air recirculated it's almost quiet.

The mention of VTA was more of a warning to others not to make the same mistake I did.
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Rowge wrote:
Chris Thompson wrote:I'm sure I'm just having a brain fart from too much work (I hate work) but WTH is VTA?
Thank you.
VTA = Vent to Atmosphere.

That purple bit hanging on the inlet to the intake manifold is the blow-off valve that came with the intercooler kit I bought. Because the air goes Rotrex > throttle body > engine there is always positive pressure on the BOV and throttle plate above 2k rpm (0psi/100kpa @ 2k; 9.5psi/165kpa @ 7.2k with an 88mm pulley). So whenever I'm off the throttle above 2k rpm, my BOV whistles very loud (all that air has to go somewhere). I'll be making the air recirculate over the winter (just like the original KW kit did and the new kits do) to get rid of that whistle. When a Rotrex has the air recirculated it's almost quiet.

The mention of VTA was more of a warning to others not to make the same mistake I did.
Thanks again and I really appreciate you posting your experience with the Rotrex.

PS: I like the cartoon car!
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
colt45

Post by colt45 »

How would you recalibrate the ECU on a 2004 NB? Can they be flashed like NCs?
Chatanooga
'06 Sport 6MT Ohlins 70N/50N
IBA/COG
DaveR016

Post by DaveR016 »

Hi,
Any news on the 98-05 NB kits? Do you know when these kits will be available? Also, fingers crossed, will they be suitable for a 2004 RHD UK 1.8 car......?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com