Has anyone mounted the street header to an automatic yet?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Fat Broke

Has anyone mounted the street header to an automatic yet?

Post by Fat Broke »

I have an '06 soft top (street car) that I will run a RHT for a few months a year. This with the mid-pipe seems to be the right set (if I want the spousal unit to come with).

I haven't seen a definative post stating it has been done. I did read about the performance header and grinding a bracket to fit (sounded fairly easy).

What say you? Anyone done it?

-Matt
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone mounted the street header to an automatic yet

Post by Brian »

Fat Broke wrote:I have an '06 soft top (street car) that I will run a RHT for a few months a year. This with the mid-pipe seems to be the right set (if I want the spousal unit to come with).

I haven't seen a definative post stating it has been done. I did read about the performance header and grinding a bracket to fit (sounded fairly easy).

What say you? Anyone done it?

-Matt
We have sent just one of the new RoadsterSport Street Headers to customer with auto and he has not started his install yet.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JT12

Post by JT12 »

I too am interested in the results of the automatic install. Bought a 2012 automatic back in March (wife absolutely refuses to learn a manual. I don't know, something about a bad childhood experience). Am wanting to do the same mods as the 2012 project car over the Minnesota winter. Will be following to hear the results as soon as they appear.

Any currently known reason why the automatic wouldn't hold up well under the increased horsepower, assuming a spirited driving style?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our Roadstersport Max power header has been used on the automatic for many years. The automatic hold up fine...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

It has more to do with the increase in underhood temps and the lines for the transmission cooler. I've used the race header on an auto for 3+ years and 35K miles. The cooler lines come with heatshields on them and the header sits close enough for them to rattle against it. I'd try and find a way to shield the street header if I were to use one, the catalyst is going to generate a lot of heat and put it right next to the transmission cooler lines.
2006 GT.
Fat Broke

Post by Fat Broke »

@JamesM... I bit the bullet and ordered the max performance header, did you find a way to eliminate the rattle?
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I removed parts of the heat shields that were on the lines themselves. It wasn't a really loud noise, just what you'd imagine a couple pieces of tin-like material touching the header would sound.
I'll probably be changing the header soon, so I'm going to look into it more when I get everything apart.
2006 GT.
JT12

Post by JT12 »

Brian, have you had any feedback from the customer with an automatic who ordered the street header? Also, would the Roadstersport Max power header be any easier of an install on an automatic than the catted street header? Curious since you said its been used on automatics historically. Wondering if not having the cat down there brings in less issues with fitment and the heat on the cooler lines.

In Nic Grossi's automatic notes for the header install instructions he talks about grinding down the ear on the bracket that's used to route the clutch cable in manuals, to make the header fit on an automatic. Doesn't sound too tough with a vise and grinder. Do you know if he ever did post any pictures anywhere? Still leaves the cooler line re-route or shielding issue.

Would love to use the ceramic street header on our 2012 PRHT, but looking to sort out all the considerations of the best route for an automatic first. Thanks!

JamesM - Thanks for your post(s). So after removing the heat shields from the lines themselves, heat wasn't an issue with the race header?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Looks like the street header will not fit the automatic without a fair bit of work. So, we updated the product description to suggest professional install only.

As for RoadsterSport Max Power Header on the automatic, folks have been doing that for years, no need to grind anything (the bracket Nic talks about can just be unbolted and removed, really not clear to me why anybody would bother to grind the bracket).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fat Broke

Post by Fat Broke »

I have the performance header and midpipe on the auto. The midpipe does contact a bracket on the transmission , it looks like I could grind down a section of the bracket and gain 3/16" clearance or so. It would rattle occasionally, for now I have attached 4 layers of soft aviation grade heat shielding between the cat and bracket, I didn't want to damage the cat. I will drop it and see what can be done this winter.