Toxico VS Koni

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
james001

Toxico VS Koni

Post by james001 »

Hi Brian,

I own a NC2 mx5 and it is my daily driver. The factory setup is very soft and am looking to upgrade my suspension. Which shocks do you think are the better choice. The Konis or the Toxicos?? I will get the progress springs as well.

I dont want to make my car ride too harshly.

Is there any difference in the installation of the header on a right hand drive car?

Thanks,

James
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Toxico VS Koni

Post by Brian »

Koni preferred by autocrossers. The Tokico shocks preferred by our pure street customers...largely because of the optional rear adjustment cables that make rear shock adjustment easy. Note you get more lowering with the KONI because they are lower pressure.

We have sent plenty of our headers to Australia and no reports of install issue on RHD.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
james001

Post by james001 »

Hi Brian,

Ordered the koni shocks and progress springs. I also ordered the racing beat sways. Just realised I might need new end links for these because of the slight lowering of the car?

Thanks,

James
james001

Post by james001 »

Brian.
dmicah

Post by dmicah »

I have that same question about the end links. Somebody indicated to mr that I could get away without them with Progress/Koni but that seems really counter-intuitive.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Lowering the car with full length links does cause a little geometry error. For street cars it is nothing to worry about as long as the sway bar ends are not hitting the shocks (which can happen if you lower the Miata enough). For an autocross or track machine I would fix the error with adjustable length links to level out the bar ends.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
james001

Post by james001 »

OK, thanks for the response.

I have one other question for you. My car randomly is very jolty in its power delivery, on occasions sounds like a tractor/diesel engine and can idle very roughly. Took my car to a mazda dealership and they suggested changing the oil ... I had it serviced one week earlier and they changed the oil then (at the same dealership). The problem didnt go away and returns on occasion. They are replacing the variable valve timing unit under warranty next week. Have you ever seen anything like this? I am a little concerned as my warranty runs out in end of December ... ? I wanted to know what your opinion was as you know almost everything about MX5s
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If that solves it then I have not seen that.

If it does not solve the issue and it turns out to be coil or harness break leading to the coils then we have seen that.

Overall, these cars are very reliable....more than most cars.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
james001

Post by james001 »

Brian,

They replaced the VVT last week and everything felt ok. I was driving home the other day, warm day air conditioner on and it started doing the strange power delivery again. absolutely no power till 3-4k rpm when i would take off. When I turned the air conditioner off it ran much better. The next day same conditions and it ran fine again...

What should I do? warranty runs out in a weeks time.

Thanks again.

James