Suspension Upgrade and Ride Quality

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Pat

Suspension Upgrade and Ride Quality

Post by Pat »

Looking for thoughts on the ride quality of the Ohlins Road and Track DFV. I'm seriously leaning in that direction, my other option would be Progress spring and RB or Progress sway bar. All the reports I've read mention that the Ohlins handle much better and are more comfortable than stock. How's the ride quality on broken pavement, frost heaves ect. I'm looking for a firmer ride but not hash. I've ridden in other cars with differing spring shock combos and do not want the kidney jarring ride. With the Ohlins, are sways necessary? I thought that I read that aftermarket sways would be to much for a street car.

This is a daily driver 3/4's of the year (when it's not snow and salt season) and I'm looking for a firm but compliant ride. Something more like what you might get on a Porsche or BMW.

Any thoughts, opinions?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Suspension Upgrade and Ride Quality

Post by Brian »

The OHLINS are indeed what will get you nearest that feel of a new Porsche suspension, incredible control, firm yet amazing ride quality.

My wife loves the Progress springs in our 2012 but it won't handle within miles of the Ohlins setup...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Pat

Post by Pat »

Brian thanks for the feedback. What about sway bars is there a need to upgrade with the Ohlins or for street use is the Ohlins and stock sways the best setup?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It is not really about 'need', it is more whether you still want even more flat handling after you do the Ohlins. Some do, some won't. I usually suggest do the Ohlins and then see what you think of the results.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com