NC supercharger options

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
yminkv

NC supercharger options

Post by yminkv »

What options are there for supercharging NCs at this point? Looks like everything is sold out on the store web page. Are there new options coming?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC supercharger options

Post by Brian »

Yes, new Rotrex kit is in the works. Our goal with the new kit is 300 hp. Hope to have it finished and on the site by late Spring.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

I'm looking forward to seeing this kit with hopes it is simple (compared to the Cosworth) in function (A/A inter-cooled) and easy to install and remove for bi-annual smog tests since I assume it may (unfortunately) never be CARB certified.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Can the Stock Drive train handle that kind of power?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, will work great on stock powertrain because the way the Rotrex builds boost is very kind to the stock drivetrain (it is the polar opposite of Nitrous). It is also a very efficient blower, it will add much less weight and much less heat than the old Cosworth kit. Yes, AIR/AIR intercooler for efficiency and effectiveness! Figure we won't do CARB until ND enters the market so that we can CARB on the LAST NC.... and have that backdate for all NC.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Dare I hope that you might have the same CARB certification plans for your exhaust systems?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We hope to eventually have CARB on the RoadsterSport Street Header....and will likely do CARB midpipe too...just as we have done for all the 99 to 05 midpipes. But notice we only recently got the CARB done for NB midpipes, it took years to get it done, and it took three different part numbers to cover 99 to 2005. The clear lesson is: those who can't wait patiently need not apply, it's a marathon process, not a sprint. It will be the same with CARB for NC supercharger, anybody who wants to ask me every week for an update on the process should just NOT buy one.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Brian, this is very exciting. Aside from the 300hp part :D, what are the primary differences between the Rotrex and CW setups in terms of drivability and torque curve? Don't centrifugal superchargers typically deliver at a higher RPM range?
2003 LS FFS
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Very much an apples and oranges comparison. With the Cosworth we had a power curve that came on early and faded in the upper rpms, particularly as heat built up. Heat soak was always an issue and our track customers had to resort to various water injection schemes to keep temperatures from getting out of control. The Rotrex curve looks much more like the stock power curve, though even with this blower the torque peaks roughly 1000 rpms earlier that it does with the stock motor. Here is the dyno for our new intercooled kit for 99-05 Miata introduced just a few days ago. With this NB kit complete and starting to ship we turn our attention to the NC kit.
Attachments
miata_dyno_nb_kws.jpg
miata_dyno_nb_kws.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 17296 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

Figure we won't do CARB until ND enters the market so that we can CARB on the LAST NC.... and have that backdate for all NC.
Then the ND cannot come soon enough lol. Brian, I want the CARB-certified SC before my blue placard becomes standard equipment.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4