New dual resonator midpipe!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
nc4me

New dual resonator midpipe!

Post by nc4me »

I saw the new resonator midpipe listed and I want to know if it is any quieter than the catted midpipe, since sound reduction is the most important thing to me.
2008 Galaxy Grey Miata Sport 5 speed: TDR2 Turbo Kit, Goodwin Racing Q exhaust, H&R front and rear sway bars, Tein Flex coilovers, Stock LSD added, and 17X9 Enkei RPF1's with 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New dual resonator midpipe!

Post by Brian »

Yes. The little single biscuit converter we have in the regular system is a good little resonator too. Nonetheless, the extra resonator in the dual resonator midpipe is three times longer and with the high density packing it is more effective at sound reduction.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grippy

Post by grippy »

Hi Brian,

Is the back half of this system the same as the old mid pipe with the cat?
I have a modified midpipe for a center exit exhaust, it would be great if I could just replace the front half to replace the cat section with the resonator without having to remake the custom part at the rear.
Maybe you could sell just the front half for people with bad cats.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
grippy

Post by grippy »

One other thought, how about adding a third bung near the front for additional wide band sensor?

And for the record my cat is still working after 4 years of track duty, the last 2 with the 2.5. The entire exhaust has held up great after 5K miles in anger. I did have the header coated by Swain, which seemed to help with the heat. The ceramic coating would be nice option for the mid pipe too.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks for your thoughts Gordon, will look into the idea of having just the front bit with the second resonator as a stand alone option so folks can swap it out with the converter for track events, etc.

Given the diminishing returns as we go downstream I likely won't ceramic the midpipe since the return on investment is 3% more power from the header and I bet half that at best for the midpipe.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
vetracr

Post by vetracr »

Brian wrote:Thanks for your thoughts Gordon, will look into the idea of having just the front bit with the second resonator as a stand alone option so folks can swap it out with the converter for track events, etc.

Given the diminishing returns as we go downstream I likely won't ceramic the midpipe since the return on investment is 3% more power from the header and I bet half that at best for the midpipe.
Brian,

I'm with Gordon. I have a modified midpipe with a track exhaust cutout. I'd like to just replace the front cat section with the new front resonator pipe.

Larry
grippy

Post by grippy »

Hey Brian,
Any word from the factory on the interchangeability of the front piece?
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry, for reasons of production realities it won't happen. It is effectively the same cost to make half a pipe as it is to make the entire item....in part because the JIG would have to be redesigned to enable making just half the setup.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grippy

Post by grippy »

OK, but if I bought a new complete resonated midpipe, would the front half fit?
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, should be okay to interchange the parts.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com