NC Roll Bar

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Randale

NC Roll Bar

Post by Randale »

Looking to add roll bar with Petty bar to 2009 soft top for track days.

Which is the better choice?

AWR or Hard Dog?

Thanks,

Randale
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Roll Bar

Post by Brian »

Spend some time in the product descriptions for each, the AWR bars cost more but come more finished, it's a tradeoff. The Harddog bars cost less and give a lot of bang for the buck. Nobody can tell you which is "better" for you, since that answer really depends on what you seek in a bar, and what your priorities are. Another factor to consider is that we are backed up a few weeks right now on the AWR bars, and the Harddog bars ship pretty quick.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Randale

Post by Randale »

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

Priorities are:

1) Which bar provides better protection?

2) Which bar better augments stiffness in frame?

Plan on adding harness bar and probably Sparco Evo II seat to the mix.

My read of the descriptions on the website are that the AWR probably addresses my priorities (1 and 2) better.

Do you have an estimate of when the AWR will be back in stock?

Randale
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The more connections points, the more stiffness you gain. Thus, if you take advantage on the AWR double hoop design of the two additional weld down plates for the down tubes toward the center you get a stiffer result than the single bar design of the same brand. But I don't think I would pick the double hoop for that reason, I would select the double hoop only if you prefer that look.

Without doing a rollover contest and destroying two cars it is difficult to make any real analysis of which will provide better protection, but both brands clearly far superior to wimpy stock one inch hoops.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Randale

Post by Randale »

Brian,

OK, just bought a 2007 soft top and will be picking it up next week.

The upgrades begin.... First, need a roll bar.

How long a wait for the AWR bar with the bolt in Petty bar? I noticed in the recent pics you have the AWR with the removable rear supports in your 2006. Do you consider that a better option based on my (maybe a bit naive) priorities above?

Brakes: do the Wilwood 12.88 work with stock 17 inch wheels? How about the 14 inch? Any real reason ot opt for the 14 inch?

Thanks,

Randale
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Congrats on the new toy.

My choice was dictated by the needs....I needed a bar in the car that would allow me to run it in the faster A and B groups at Laguna Seca this past weekend and still have space for passenger.

The 12.88 kit includes spacer so it works with factory 17x7 wheels....but the 14 inch needs 18 inch wheels. That's likely reason enough to stick with the 12.88.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Randale

Post by Randale »

Brian,

Just got my 2007 back to Montana from Minneapolis... 800 miles in one day is about my limit.

Pristine car with 5300 miles (well, plus the 1100 miles back to Montana.)

Anyway, ready to decide on and order a Roll Bar.

Help me out - AWR with Petty Bar? Or the one with the rear supports you used in your Project Blue?

Which is stiffer?
Which is potentially more effective for safety?

How do the struts attach to the back of the car?

Thanks,

Randale
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I doubt there is much difference in the safety of the front supported bar vs the rear supported bar. We are just finishing latest batch which is all sold, that means any AWR bar not already paid for is a good 5 weeks or more wait currently.

Rear supports attach to the hardtop attachment points and we reinforce that connection point down through the trunk space.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com